EDIT: SNL: Diversity to come

The opening sketch of Saturday Night Live this weekend tackled the topic of their lack of diversity. When exploring such a topic, one would assume Lorne Michaels, the executive producer of the show, or someone in public relations could have handled discussing SNL’s lack of diversity. Instead, they opened the door to the cast to laugh about it.

Guest-host Kerry Washington, Jay Pharoah and Taran Killam openly joked about how Washington was the only black woman on the set who could play Michelle Obama, Oprah and Beyoncé.

In the skit Washington entered the Oval Office as Michelle Obama, but about a minute in, Killam insinuates that she needs to leave the set so that Oprah could enter. While breaking the fourth wall, Washington expressed how frustrated she was with the costume change. Then a narrator reads, “The producers at Saturday Night Live would like to apologize to Kerry Washington for the number of black women she will be asked to play.”

The narrator continues speaking, directly addressing how there has never been a black woman on the SNL cast. Although curt, the producers, writers and comedians let the audience know they are fully aware of the recent press attention about the diversity of the SNL cast. It was unexpected that the SNL cast and producers were not afraid to make fun of themselves.

Asking Kerry Washington to host during this sort of commentary is brilliant. Despite how intense the discourse of race relations and inclusion is, Washington helped bring up the topic gently yet bluntly.

Washington is so celebrated because she has transcended multiple stereotypes. Her role on Scandal is so strong and different compared to the roles black women are typically type casted to play.  She defies stereotypes on her show and off the screen, so having such an influential actor bring up the discussion was tactful genius.

But here’s the thing. When is the last time an Asian person landed a contract with SNL? Lorne Michaels made explicitly clear he is willing to change the demographics around on the cast, but he has not met someone “ready” for a stint on SNL.

In a time where white comedians like Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis dominate comedy, diversity suffers. SNL is catering to the audience that loves Tina Fey and Seth Meyers. Producers are not purposefully discriminating. They’re just making sure the best and funniest join the cast, not just someone who can play Jennifer Hudson without make-up or going in drag. But they have to explore more of the United States and communities they haven’t reached out to before. The right woman is already out there. They just have to find her.