EDIT: Preventing another Typhoon Haiyan

Drawing evidence from the damages caused by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines last week, underdeveloped countries continue to argue they have been affected the most by climate change despite contributing the least to the issue in terms of emissions. Despite the compelling reasons behind this argument, it does not look as if such action will be possible in today’s global society.

At the 19th United Nations Framework Convention of Climate Change that began Nov. 11, developing countries demanded compensation from highly industrialized countries for the damages their pollution has caused in regards to climate change. Large, developed countries, however, will most likely find a way to shoot the proposal down.

Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms in recorded history, struck the Philippines with winds more than 140 miles per hour and completely ravaged the country. Global sea levels are currently increasing at a rate of 3.2 millimeters per year, whereas in the Phillippines, sea levels are rising at almost four times the global rate at 12 millimeters per year, according to the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization.  Considering how policymakers have largely ignored the desperate signs of climate change Hurricane Sandy presented us with in October 2012, it is reasonable to fear such will happen with Typhoon Haiyan as well.

The devastation sustained by Typhoon Haiyan in the Phillippines gives scientific evidence to prove small countries in Southeast Asia are incredibly vulnerable to such wide-scale calamities. These countries already have fragile infrastructures and environments. Add their limited resources to respond with when disaster strikes, and you have a hopeless scenario.

Industrial giants such as India and China are largely to blame for speeding up the devastating ramifications of climate change with their high emission rates. Unfortunately, based on the general lack of global devotion to climate change solutions, it will be hard to successfully convince the industrial giants both current and upcoming that the helpless, underdeveloped countries deserve the sympathy they demand. The frequency and severity with which these natural disasters are occurring should be enough to prompt any sort of meaningful change. However, based on general sentiments, it has not.

The average American fails to realize there is a direct connection between global warming and natural disasters, and there are many people at fault in this equation. Though the blame mostly lies on the shoulders of the policymakers, the media is responsible as well. The media does a good job in creating hype and empathy over the issue. However, it has really only succeeded in creating conversation – not action.

As countries, we are starting to blame other each other for the damages made to our planet. This can be considered an important step in the right direction for change, but a small one at that. As a global society, we should all agree that climate change is real and has tangible and damaging effects. Not only is it a daunting reality, but it creates a severe and desperate situation for millions of people as well. Organizations can throw relief money at destroyed countries, but as we can see, no amount of money has succeeded in preventing Hurricanes Katrina, Irene, Sandy and Nemo – and now Typhoon Haiyan.