DOUGLAS: That columnist gal

Hi BU! Welcome to the finals week, yay!  This is my last column of the semester and because I’m going abroad it will probably be the last column I write for The Daily Free Press. I wanted to write you all a farewell letter and tell you all what I’ve learned by writing this column for your enjoyment.

Dear BU,

I decided to write a column and had no idea what I wanted to write about. On my way to the first meeting, I was sure The FreeP was going to cut me, but when I saw the Hula Hoopers in Marsh Plaza, I had there was a flash of inspiration.

I wanted to share with the readers of the FreeP how amazing our student body actually is. We’re always told how “diverse” BU students are, but I think most of us find a niche and never want leave our core group of friends. I know I am definitely guilty of that.

This semester, I’ve talked to a range of people that I would have never spoken to before. I’ve learned that there are remarkable people here doing incredible things,  not only for themselves, but also for others.

I met Rose, the remarkable, renaissance-fair performer and creator of the BU Hooping Project.

I explored happiness with Teyah and the “I Embrace You” club.

Esther showed me how far simple encouragement can go with her thoughtful messages every morning on South Campus.

I found some joy in Ben’s escapades on Commonwealth Avenue on his scooter.

Daphne gave me a new perspective on Boston from the eyes of a Turkish student.

Gosh, BU, I just can’t explain how amazing you all are!

I wish there was time and space to highlight each and every one of you, but alas, there is no longer an outlet for my interviews.

Before I leave you I wanted to pass on some things I’ve learned from talking to you:

Open your mind. There are people here who could be your best friends if you just let them.

Be kind. You don’t know what someone else is going through. Cut everyone some slack.

Embrace your inner child. Hula Hoop in public, ride a scooter down Commonwealth Avenue. This is your last chance before real life begins.

Talk to people around you. This is an important one, BU. We are all sucked into our phones, music and the people we already know.

There are 15,000  undergrads and you should know more than 50 of them by the time you graduate.

Have a good winter break everyone, and good luck with your finals. It’s been real.

Jemma Douglas is a sophomore in the College of Communication studying Journalism. She can be reached at jwdoug@bu.edu.