SG addresses safety concerns off-, on-campus students

Mim Eiben (CAS and SMG ‘18) proposes printing flyers for off-campus students to inform them of their rights as tenants at a Boston University Student Government meeting at the Photonics Center Monday. PHOTO BY STANISLAVA LABETSKAYA/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University Student Government addressed safety concerns for off- and on-campus students at a meeting Monday night.

Senate voted to grant $500 to the Department of City Affairs to create and print a flyer to inform off-campus students about their residential rights. The proposal is the result of a long-term discussion about supporting students who want to live off campus.

“By having these flyers, it will help people know their basic rights and prevent escalating situations as well as facilitating better relationships between students and the residents, students and the law enforcement,” said Mim Eiben, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and School of Management, who is also a member of the Department of City Affairs.

In the PowerPoint presented by the students introducing the proposal, $220 was requested for 150 colored double-sided flyers. Senate voted to increase the budget to $500 to print additional copies or laminate the flyers. The proposal was passed with only one abstention.

The flyer will cover “three main areas” including law enforcement, tenant rights and open neighbor communication, Eiben said.

“As long as off-campus students are getting this information, that they have this info, they know it so that they know their basic rights and responsibilities in this situation,” said Corey Pray, a sophomore in CAS and Director of City Affairs. “This is part of a much larger initiative in general to get off-campus students involved in their surrounding communities.”

The flyers will be distributed in the beginning of spring semester and be available online and be distributed to other student organizations, such as Greek Life, Eiben said.

SMG Sen. Courtney Bold said the flyer for off-campus students is a tangible and positive way Student Government can influence the student body.

“I really loved the off-campus initiative. That was a really good idea because there are a lot of students off campus who don’t know their legal rights,” said Bold, a junior in SMG. “This is one way we can make a positive impact.”

In the president’s updates, SG President Richa Kaul addressed BU Police Department’s efforts to increase security on Bay State Road as a response to recent muggings.

“They have put in a lot of measures, whether we’ve seen them or not, to help sort of combat the safety issues going on on Bay State and in South Campus,” said Kaul, a dual-degree junior in CAS and SMG.

BUPD has installed cameras hidden in bushes to better monitor the area, Kaul said.

BUPD could not immediately be reached for comment.

In other business, SG voted to form an ad hoc committee to debate whether or not to eliminate Make a Difference Monday or change it to Meatless Monday.

Davis Barek, a representative from the Residence Hall Association, said the real problem with Make a Difference is with the food choices that are served to students.

“I don’t think it’s a question about just the food,” said Barek, a sophomore in the College of General Studies. “It’s the beef and pork. Also like turkey bacon and turkey sausage are not the same as regular bacon and regular sausage. And I don’t enjoy eating it as much.”

Senate voted to form the committee with only one abstention and one opposing vote. This decision was made after SG decided not to support either proposal related to the topic, one to abolish Make A Difference Monday and one to enact Meatless Monday.

Kaul said she was extremely pleased with the decision to create the ad hoc committee.

“I really like to see that we didn’t necessarily vote immediately on the two proposals,” she said. “We took a step back, decided to create a committee and sort of go through the process of making sure we are doing what students want, and I really appreciate that. I think it’s a great part of Senate.”

1. very nice informative article, well done, thank you