Turnovers, deep shots hinder women’s basketball in conference loss to Colgate

WBB_AlexandraWimley_WEB
Freshman guard Corrine Williams had a team-high 14 points for the Terriers in their loss to Colgate. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Riding the high from its first win in nearly a month, the Boston University women’s basketball team hit the road to take on Colgate University on Wednesday night.

Despite taking the lead into half, as well as outshooting their opponents, an overabundance of turnovers and a stagnant second half cost the Terriers (5-19, 2-11 Patriot League), who fell to the Raiders (5-19, 4-9 Patriot League) by a score of 67-54.

In their previous matchup against Lafayette College Saturday, the Terriers showed signs of progression. Senior forward Mollie McKendrick had a double-double, almost entirely in the second half, freshman guard Corrine Williams scored 12 and freshman forward Erin Bayram and freshman guard Meghan Doogan stepped up when their team was short-handed.

In their first half against the Raiders, the Terriers looked to remain on the upswing. While Colgate was able to score, in part thanks to 10 first-half points from junior Josie Stockill, the Terriers absorbed every blow. Williams continued her hot streak, notching eight in the first, while sophomore guard Meghan Green was able to rebound from her four-point showing against Lafayette (12-12, 5-8 Patriot League) with six of her own in the first half. She was one of three Terriers to reach double digits in scoring.

In the first half, the lead between the Raiders and the Terriers changed 13 times. The largest lead, while boasted by the Raiders, was only three points, and very short-lived at that. The Terriers shot 42 percent from the floor in the first half, out-shooting Colgate, who shot only 35 percent. BU took the 29-28 lead into the locker room at half time.

As has been the theme with this Terriers team this season, they played one half of solid play coupled with another very forgettable half. The Terriers took control early coming out of the locker room with an 8-2 run that brought the score to 37-30. It was the largest lead the Terriers would secure, as they proved ineffective from there on out.

From the 17:23 mark to midway through the eighth minute, the Raiders went on a 19-2 run to take a 49-39 lead. During the surge, the Terriers were just 1-for-5 from the floor, and turned the ball over nine times. The Terriers had 14 of their 23 turnovers in the second half and the Raiders took full advantage. On the night, Colgate scored 22 of their points, nearly 33 percent, off BU’s abundance of errors.

One thing the Terriers have lacked in recent games is consistent outside shooting. Since sophomore guard Sarah Hope was injured against Loyola University Maryland on Jan. 17, the Terriers have shot under 30 percent from behind the arc. After Hope, the Terriers’ leading 3-point shooter percentage-wise is Green, who only shoots 28.6 percent from deep. Wednesday’s match saw that trend continue as the Terriers only drained two 3-pointers on just six attempts.

On the other side of things, Colgate was dominant offensively. While it only shot 33.8 percent for the game, it was able to get production from nearly everyone. Four out of their five starters reached double digits in points, including a team-high 18 from guard Randyll Butler. Forward Carole Harris also stepped up for the Raiders, scoring 11 and fetching 13 boards, recording the double-double.

Another area where the Terriers struggled was from the free throw line. The Terriers were 6-of-6 at the line in the first half, but a measly 10-for-17 in the second.

Going forward, the Terriers will hope to further their development in their six final regular season contests before the Patriot League Tournament begins March 4.

BU coach Katy Steding could not be reached for comment.