SANTOS-MUNIZ: Beauty Queens are Seen

Beauty pageants are flawed. Women parade around in bathing suits and evening gowns, and then, if they get far enough in the competition, enter the final round where they answer a question. Depending on the answers, viewers may know this as the humorous part of the competition.

All people, including women, should be valued for more than how they look. The idea that in 2015, women enter contests in which they’re predominantly judged on their looks seems outdated. Feminism and the fight for gender equality, along with other social movements, have changed society.

As much as these pageants may seem like a relic of yesteryear, the focus on a specific standard of beauty is not uncommon in society and the media.

Yet earlier this year and with knowledge about the flaws of pageants, I sat down to watch Miss Universe, as I usually do. Sometimes I read articles about which pageant contestants are projected to be the favorites.

Why then, do I watch the two biggest beauty pageants, Miss Universe and Miss World? It’s a source of national pride for me.

Sometimes it seems that Hispanic identities are homogenized in the media. While there are similarities among Latin and Spanish-speaking nations, there are also differences that are important to recognize. Much like I argued in my column last week about the homogenization of Asian identity, the practice of ascribing one identity to millions of people is reductionist and inaccurate. Latin American countries also have had tense relations with one another for a myriad of reasons, which is important to acknowledge. In a way, beauty pageants are a way to recognize individual countries that are sometimes indiscriminately grouped together.

Puerto Rico is a territory populated by a little less than 4 million people. Worldwide, there are about 8 million Puerto Ricans, as of 2009 estimates. There are some spheres in which Puerto Ricans are positively recognized for internationally, such as music, sports and yes, you guessed it, beauty pageants.

In my experience, Puerto Rico isn’t a place that people I meet tend to know a lot about. This happens in the United States as well, even though Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked about my citizenship status, almost always very politely, which I do appreciate. Do I have double citizenship? No. Why do I have U.S. citizenship? All Puerto Ricans do. It’s the law. What’s my visa status? None, because I don’t have one. While my experience is not necessarily a universal Puerto Rican experience, these are questions I’ve heard other Puerto Ricans be asked as well. I also know of someone who was asked what Puerto Rico’s currency is. It’s the U.S. dollar. That was a new one. I hadn’t heard that question before.

Beyond artists, philosophers and internationally recognized musicians, such as Ricky Martin and Menudo, Puerto Ricans were the creators of salsa music and continue to be some of its largest proponents. Thus far, there have been three Puerto Rican baseball players in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. Athletes in other sports, like boxing, have found success as well.

In beauty pageants, five women from Puerto Rico have won Miss Universe: Marisol Malaret (1970), Deborah Carthy-Deu (1985), Dayanara Torres Delgado (1993), Denise Marie Quiñones August (2001) and Zuleyka Jerrís Rivera Mendoza (2006). Plus, Wilnelia Merced won Miss World in 1975.

The United States has the most Miss Universe winners, with eight crowns, according to The Huffington Post. Venezuela has had seven Miss Universe titleholders, and Puerto Rico has five.

As the next pageant grows nearer, I know there’s a high probability that I’ll be looking out for Puerto Rico’s contestant. I’ll expectantly sit in front of the television and hope that Miss Puerto Rico gets called into the first round of finalists. Who knows? Maybe then she can continue advancing in the competition until the end. If she wins or makes it to the top round, I’ll celebrate. If she doesn’t, I’ll overcome my slight disappointment and continue to watch.

The same country can’t win every year, and as a viewer, I know that. The last winners of Miss Universe and Miss World were Paulina Vega from Colombia and Rolene Strauss from South Africa, respectively. Kudos to the queens.

It’s a contest, and the best contestant should win every year. Hopefully, Miss Puerto Rico will be in the running. I know I’ll be watching.