Men’s basketball meets Lafayette in rematch of PL quarterfinals

Freshman guard Cheddi Mosely was named to the Patriot League All-Rookie team on Monday. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In a rematch of the 2014 Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals, the Boston University men’s basketball team will face off against Lafayette College in the 2015 Patriot League Tournament quarterfinal Thursday.

In 2014, the first-seeded Terriers (13-16, 9-9 Patriot) beat ninth-seeded Lafayette (17-12, 9-9 Patriot) by a score of 91-54.

However, much has changed since last year, as BU lost key members due to transfers and graduation and have struggled to find consistency throughout the 2014-15 season. As for the Leopards, they are a seasoned, veteran team led by the conference’s top scorer, senior forward Dan Trist, who has improved his game immensely from last season.

In the first of two matchups these teams played in the 2014-15 season on Jan. 10, Lafayette won a nail-biter, 63-62. A month later, the Terriers would win convincingly on the road 74-60, splitting the season series.

BU will head into the matchup as the fifth seed and slight underdog, while Lafayette clinched the fourth seed in the tournament.

Most recently, the Leopards beat the United States Military Academy, while BU lost to the College of the Holy Cross in their last regular season games. In doing so, both teams had the same conference records, but Lafayette won the tiebreaker with a higher win percentage, so the Leopards were awarded the higher seed Saturday.

However, BU coach Joe Jones said he isn’t worried about seeding or his opponent’s game either, although he respects them.

“We’re more concerned with our game and our team,” he said. “But they’re a tough out for any team. They have three guys in the All-League team. Trist inside, and their point guard is as good as anyone in the league. Both teams are similar in how we’ve been up and down all year, but it’ll be a tough game.”

Terriers wary of turnovers

BU struggled with turnovers in its last game against Holy Cross (13-15, 8-10 Patriot League), where it committed 17 to the Crusaders’ seven. The turnover differential played a big factor in the Terriers’ loss and ultimately cost them the fourth seed in the conference tournament.

For its upcoming game against Lafayette, BU cannot afford to be so careless with the ball, as they are facing the most efficient offensive team in the conference. Among the top of the league in field goal, free throw and 3-point percentage as well as points scored, assists and 3-pointers made, Lafayette capitalizes on opponents’ mistakes.

Jones said limiting turnovers is a big part of his team’s game plan Thursday.

“Turnovers is a statistic we all need to watch during the game. We have to handle pressure better,” he said. “They’re such a good offensive team, they’ll make us pay, but by watching our turnovers we should take out transition points for them.”

BU trying to make history

Entering the 2015 Patriot League Tournament as the fifth seed, BU will try to make conference history. If the Terriers hope to continue dancing well into March, they will have to become the lowest seed in Patriot League history to win the conference tournament.

In addition, if the Terriers were to make the Patriot League finals, they would be the lowest seed since the sixth seed in 2011 to make the finals. Coincidentally, that team was Lafayette, BU’s opponent this week.

BU hasn’t won a conference tournament championship since it was still part of the America East Conference. BU won six tournament championships as part of America East, with its last one coming in 2011.

The Terriers will also look to capture their first Patriot League title in just their second year in the conference. BU started out its Patriot League campaign in the 2013-14 season with a bang, becoming the No. 1 seed and losing to American University in the Tournament final. In 2015, it hopes to get another step further by winning the championship and heading toward the NCAA tournament.

“This is the best part of the year,” Jones said. “I love to compete, and I love the competition. It’s why you play. Every team lays it all out on the line, and anybody has a chance to win.”

Jones reiterated that in order to compete deep into March, his team will have to be disciplined and focused on their own game.

“It’s about us,” Jones said. “It’s how we prepare, knowing what we need to do more of to be successful.”