Men’s basketball reveals schedule for 2015-16 season

PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO
BU were dispatched from the Patriot League Tournament in the first round last year at the hands of Lafayette College. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s basketball team released its 2015-16 schedule in an announcement Thursday, featuring four home games against 2014-15 NCAA Tournament teams.

The schedule consists of 31 games, including 14 home games for the Terriers. They will face off with the University of Kentucky, a Final Four team last season, for the second consecutive season. BU will open Patriot League play when they square off against the College of the Holy Cross on Dec. 30.

“The coaching staff and I are excited about the schedule we’ve put together this year,” said BU coach Joe Jones in a release from BU Athletics. “To be an elite program, we have to play the best, and our guys will be hosting three NCAA teams in November while also returning to Rupp Arena [at the University of Kentucky]. Our non-conference games will give us the opportunity to be battle-tested prior to starting league play.”

Returning every letterman this season, BU will begin its season Nov. 13, when the team goes head-to-head with cross-town rival Northeastern University at Case Gymnasium. It will be the sixth consecutive year that the two teams meet to start the season.

The Terriers will also participate in the 2015 Basketball Hall of Fame Classic, which includes a home game vs. the University at Albany-SUNY, as well as road matchups against the New Jersey Institute of Technology, the University of South Florida and Kentucky.

After that, the Terriers, led by junior guard Cedric Hankerson and senior forwards Justin Alston and Nathan Dieudonne, will play five of six games on the road. BU will then play two home games against University of New Hampshire and Kean University before beginning conference play.

The regular season will come to an end Feb. 27, when the Terriers clash with Holy Cross at Case Gymnasium to bookend their Patriot League schedule.

The Terriers were defeated in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament by eventual league champion Lafayette College last year. With every player from last season returning, they will look to advance deeper in the postseason this year.

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14