REVIEW: “Sleeping with Other People” refreshingly honest, subtly humorous

Jake (Jason Sudeikis) and Lainey (Alison Brie) in Leslye Headland’s film, “Sleeping With Other People.” PHOTO COURTESY LINDA KALLERUS/IFC FILMS

Since “When Harry Met Sally,” romantic comedies have explored the supposedly impossible idea of men and women being “just friends.” In many ways, Leslye Headland’s “Sleeping with Other People” is just another addition to the rom-com subgenre, but its refreshing honesty and intelligent script breathe life into some worn-out tropes.

The setup is familiar with a modern and raunchy edge, as the title suggests. Lainey (Alison Brie) and Jake (Jason Sudeikis) lost their virginity to each other over 12 years ago. The “meet cute” scene is anything but cute: they end up accidentally reuniting with each other at a “love addiction” support group meeting. Despite a mutual attraction, the two decide, given their respective sexual histories, to remain platonic — a feat, as any moviegoer knows, that is far easier said than done.

In essence, each character represents a stereotypically flawed lover. Lainey is that well-known cinematic female figure that is stuck forever wishing for the one that got away. Her presence at the meeting is in fact misleading because she is not actually a sex addict. She is merely attracted to a man named Matthew, a soon-to-be-married OB-GYN played by an appropriately creepy but cute Adam Scott. Lainey chose to stay in New York, we learn, forfeiting a spot in medical school in the hopes that he would one day “choose her.”

A lesser film would have played up the gender role of the typical crazy ex-girlfriend, and indeed, with her big doe eyes and fragile emotional state, Lainey could have easily been another manic pixie dream girl. However, “Sleeping with Other People” never plays up her emotional problems for the sake of a laugh. In fact, it handles her obsession quite tactfully. It’s not cute or quirky — it’s unhealthy.

Jake — no surprises here — is a serial womanizer. Armed with an Ivy League education and plenty of money, he is a charmer. However, he’s also a genuinely terrible person, especially to his lovers. In one instance, he explains to his girlfriend that she is only upset that he slept with her best friend because of society’s tendency to pit women against each other.

As expected, Lainey ends up inspiring Jake to show his sensitive side, all while she journeys toward independence.

Not all the lessons are heartfelt, such as the one in the memorable scene in which Jake teaches Lainey how to pleasure herself, using an empty green tea bottle as a model. Again, in a lesser comedy, this would have been the raunchy, ridiculous water-cooler highlight of the film. However, even this pseudo-graphic gag is played with such nuanced humor as to seem believable, sexy and fun.

While the more romantic parts of the film fall on the sappy side, Brie and Sudeikis manage to make everything genuine enough to forgive the melodrama. Their chemistry is undeniable. Each does an admirable job of balancing the comedic and the pathetic. And Sudeikis, who usually plays a more one-dimensional comedic character, especially shines in his more dramatic scenes.

The film is not without its flaws, gimmicks or mushy gushy “aww” moments, but in a genre that is filled with over-the-top gags and maudlin romance, “Sleeping with Other People” feels like someone finally got it right. Its talented cast, subtle comedy and refreshing direction make the film a worthwhile watch.