Women’s soccer to clash with Colgate in Patriot League final rematch

ws15-goldwasser
Junior defender Rachel Bloznalis has keyed the Terriers’ resurgence in 2015. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team looks like a different squad from the one that struggled in the first few weeks of the season. The Terriers tied their last game, and won their previous three. They hope to continue their hot streak in a road match against Colgate on Wednesday.

With only seven conference games left in the regular season, every win is crucial in gaining a foothold in the Patriot League standings. The Raiders (3-5-1, 1-0-1 Patriot League) are one of four teams tied for first place in the conference. BU (3-4-3, 1-0-1 Patriot League) comes out on top because its overall record is better than the other three teams tied for first.

The Terriers beat the Raiders twice last season. BU shut them out 2-0 in a regular season contest on Oct. 22, then bested them again 2-1 in the Patriot League final on Nov. 9.

In that case, Colgate will be pushing for revenge Wednesday. However, the Terriers will be eager to continue their streak. BU coach Nancy Feldman is not concerned with the streak, though.

“We’re on an unbeaten streak? It doesn’t feel that way,” Feldman said. “Every game is a stand-alone event. Honestly, [the next game] is the only thing I think about. Our only focus is what we need to do Wednesday to keep being a better team.”

After all, the Raiders have had a similar season to the Terriers. They started their schedule with back-to-back losses. They finished their third game victorious, only to be shut out in the following two matches. Lately, however, Colgate has found some confidence and consistency in their play. They are 2-2-1 during the month of September.

Colgate averaged eight shots per game in their first five matches. That average has jumped to 12.75 shots in its last four games. The Terriers have been subject to this trend as well, as they struggled to produce offensively earlier in the season, but average 14 shots per game over their last five contests.

Feldman said she does not have a detailed game plan yet, but she and her athletes “certainly have an idea about what we’re up against.”

“We know they’re a good team,” Feldman said. “We’re familiar with them, [and] they’re familiar with us.”

Colgate junior Sarah Coy leads her team in goals, alongside sophomore Emily Crichlow, with three, while also leading the Raiders with 25 shots. The forward had eight goals last year, which led the Raiders. Despite Coy’s offensive success, Feldman is confident in her team’s ability to shut her down.

“I’d say [we manage her] the same way we manage any attacking personality we’ve faced this year,” Feldman said. “We limit their touches, which takes attention to team defending. If we have the ball, she doesn’t get to score. How well we attack is a big part of how well we defend.”

BU’s offense and defense have both significantly improved over the last few weeks. The Terriers have outscored their opponents 10-4 in their last five games. Junior defender Rachel Bloznalis earned Patriot League Defender of the Week honors last week, during which the Terrier defense allowed one goal in two wins.

Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi has been strong in net all season. Her 1.10 goals against average is the third lowest in the league. She also has a .771 save percentage which places her fifth in the conference.

A win for the Terriers on Wednesday would not only add to their streak, but help them in the league standings.

“Every win is important,” Feldman said. “Three points are on the table Wednesday. The results are important. I believe if you play well and are consistent, I trust we will get where we want to go.”