Students, residents remember “ambassador of Kenmore Square” Melvin Ramos

Jenna O'Leary, a student at Wheelock College, places a candle on the steps where Melvin Ramos once lived. Ramos, a homeless man who became a fixture of Kenmore Square, was honored during a remembrance service Monday night. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Jenna O’Leary, a student at Wheelock College, places a candle on the steps where Melvin Ramos once lived. Ramos, a homeless man who became a fixture of Kenmore Square, was honored during a remembrance service Monday night. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston University students and local residents gathered in Kenmore Square Monday night in remembrance of Melvin Ramos, a homeless man who historically occupied a space near the City Convenience store.

Approximately 50 people were in attendance out of respect for Ramos, who was largely recognized and well known within the community.

The New England School of Photography posted about his death on Facebook on Friday, prompting a sign to be eventually placed in the doorway of his usual spot, stating “R.I.P. Melvin, ‘God Bless,’” along with a card and pen for community members to sign.

People made many more additions to the small memorial, beginning right before Monday night’s service, transforming the site into a doorway of flowers, candles and messages to Ramos.

BU student Alec Dakin, a sophomore in the College of Communication, came up with the idea for the service and created a Facebook event.

“He was very much a part of Kenmore Square,” Dakin said. “I lived down in Myles Standish Hall and walked by him every day to class. So he was very much a part of my college experience my first year. Then when I heard that he passed away, I didn’t see that there was a service for him or anything, so I figured I would [make one].”

Many people, including Dakin, said Ramos’ smile as pedestrians passed by him was symbolic of a man who brought happiness to those who knew and passed by him.

“You would think that after living on the street for some years, you would be bitter about it, and you would hate it,” Dakin said. “But he loved the world.”

Dakin said Ramos’ selflessness can be inspirational for others looking to do good in the world.

“People have stories all the time that they tried to give him something and he said, “No, go take it to my friends down the street because I have enough,’” he said. “It’s a testament to how selfless someone can be in that situation, and how good they can be.”

Paige Sparks, a recent BU graduate who lives in Allston, said she also remembers Ramos’ smile as she walked by him and the building he sat in front of throughout the year. He opened up “his home” to anyone, Sparks said.

Approximately 140 adults like Ramos live on the streets without shelter, according to the 35th Annual Homeless Census conducted by the City of Boston’s Emergency Shelter Commission on Feb. 25, 2015. This is a 22.8 percent decrease from the data collected the previous year. However, the total number of homeless men, women and children increased 20.9 percent from 3,541 people last year to 4,281. Similarly, the number of homeless children increased 18.7 percent from 2,056 to 2,440.

“Melvin was the ambassador of Kenmore Square. He greeted tourists … he really just wanted to say hello and make connections with people,” Cassie Hurd, 30, of Allston said. “He just always seemed so excited to say hello.”

Hurd said she originally met Ramos while exiting NESOP in 2005.

“I came out, and I had my camera and I had my stuff, and I kind of just stopped to readjust myself, and he was like, ‘Another beautiful photo of me!’” Hurd said. “He was just so friendly.”

“If you see someone, ask if they’re okay, ask if you need to call anywhere,” Hurd said. “Even just say hello.”

She said people often forget the humanity of the homeless community.

“The most effective way of eradicating homelessness is prevention,” she said. “… [Homelessness] is an experience; it is not a title.”

1. As a parent of a BU student I have only seen Mr Ramos a few times. He made an impression with me the first time- friends, happy, and caring. I always greeted Mr Ramos with a sincere “Hello” and called him Sir. Knowing that the dining halls allow students to take a piece of fruit with them on the way out , I encouraged my son to take the fruit to Melvin Ramos. I will miss not seeing my Boston homeless friend- and I call him friend because he was good at heart. I pray he did not pass alone, but with a warm hand to hold, a peaceful voice to pray with, a caring ear of someone to listen to him, and of course love in his heart. May he rest in peace and retire in heaven. Melvin Ramos will be missed. Thank you Alec Dakin for seeing a need and showing that everybody matters!

2. As much as this loss devastates me, I am thrilled to see people commemorating Melvin’s life and paying tribute to him. I stopped by his former nook today and saw remnants of what was clearly a beautiful memorial service (unfortunately, I could not attend). I signed the huge card, which is still there if anyone would like to leave him a message. Here are some resources for anyone who’d like to support Boston’s homeless community:

https://www.facebook.com/bostonhomelesssolidaritycommittee (includes link to their WordPress blog)

http://www.fobh.org

http://www.sparechangenews.net

http://www.headinghomeinc.org

3. Does anyone know the cause of death?