Basketball, Ice Hockey, Sports, Swimming & Diving

Roundup: Swimming performs well at Terrier Invitational

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams participated in the 11th annual Terrier Invitational on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the home Competition Pool, with the women finishing in second place and the men’s team coming in fourth.

PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DFP FILE PHOTO
The BU women’s swimming and diving team earned a second-place finish at the Terrier Invitational on Sunday. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DFP FILE PHOTO

The three-day event was highlighted by the performance by the women’s team, whose attempt at winning the meet fell just short on the third day. The Terriers found themselves out of first place by 160 points on day two, but made a run at eventual winner the U.S. Military Academy.

The comeback attempt from the women was highlighted by a victory in the meet’s final race, the 400 freestyle relay, which earned BU 40 points.

The men’s squad jumped to fourth place out of a possible seven finishers after sitting in fifth place for the meet’s first two days.

Individually, three BU swimmers won events on Sunday, including freshman Erin Nabney and junior Daniel Andronov in the 200 breaststroke and senior Stephanie Nasson in the 1650 freestyle.

Nabney, a product of Pinner, United Kingdom, set a personal record with her time in the 200 breaststroke (2:17.15).

Sophomore Lizzie Tillo was named Corvias Female Diver of the Week in the Patriot League on Monday after her performance this weekend. The Jacksonville, Florida, native competed in both the one-meter and three-meter dive and earned a first and second place finish, respectively.

The Terriers have two weeks off before competing in the Rutgers Quad Meet on Dec. 5, where they will look to build off recent success.

BU announces Lambert as assistant track & field coach

The BU men’s and women’s track and field teams added a member to their coaching staff on Monday, with director of track & field and cross country Robyne Johnson announcing the hiring of Greg Lambert.

Lambert, who comes to BU from the University of Mississippi, will join the Terriers as an assistant coach. He performed the same role at Ole Miss during the 2014-15 season, working primarily with runners and sprinters.

“We are very pleased to have Greg be a part of the BU family,” Johnson said in a release from BU Athletics. “He brings incredible enthusiasm and passion to our program. Our sprints and hurdle groups have made great progress in the past years and with Greg’s coaching background, I know he can continue to take us to the next level.”

At Ole Miss, Lambert coached 10 All-Americans and led a school-record 14 qualifiers to the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

Before his successful campaign in Mississippi, he spent two seasons from 2012 to 2014 at Georgetown University, where he assisted sprinters, jumpers and hurdlers. While on the Hoyas’ staff, Lambert coached three All-Americans and 11 Big East champions.

This is not Lambert’s first time in the Patriot League, either. A 2006 graduate of Coppin State University, Lambert coached three school-record holders at American University during the 2008-09 season. He has also coached at his alma mater (2006-07, 2009-10), the University of Richmond (2010-12) and Delaware State University (2007-08).

Terriers win weekly awards

Members of the BU men’s basketball team and women’s hockey team were honored this week in weekly awards from their prospective leagues.

Senior guard John Papale and freshman guard Kyle Foreman of the men’s basketball team were named Lids Team Sports Patriot League Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, after leading the Terriers to a pair of key non-conference victories this past week.

This marks just the second time in program history and the first since 1995-96 that BU swept the conference weekly awards.

For Papale, this is his first career Patriot League weekly honor. The Wallingford, Connecticut, native averaged 19.7 points per game for the Terriers over three games last week, and also hit an impressive 15 3-pointers during this span. He also ranks second nationally in three-pointers made per contest this year with 4.75.

After winning the award last week, Foreman becomes just the third Patriot League rookie ever to open his career with back-to-back Rookie of the Week awards.

The Clyde Hill, Washington, product had a nice statistical week for BU, 13.3 points, 5.3 assists, and 4.7 rebounds in the three games.

For the women’s hockey team, senior forward Sarah Lefort and sophomore forward Victoria Bach were named Hockey East Co-Players of the Week on Monday.

The linemates performed exceptionally well in a weekend sweep of Merrimack College.

Bach tallied her first collegiate hat trick in a 5-1 road victory on Friday night, and followed that up with an assist in Saturday’s home victory.

Lefort, the only Hockey East player with more points that Bach during the three-day weekend stretch, recorded back-to-back three-assist game for BU this weekend. The Ormstown, Quebec, native led the nation in assists (six) and was tied for the NCAA lead in points (six) over the weekend.

Nick Neville is a junior in COM studying journalism and the Sports Editor of the Daily Free Press. When he's not making a paper on Beacon Street, you can catch him working as a Sports Correspondent for the Boston Globe or helping to produce BU's only professional sports talk show, Offsides. Follow him on Twitter: @n_nebs95