Community, Features

Studio16 opens doors to Boston entrepreneurs

Once a fire station built in 1909, Studio16 has transformed the space into a brand-new 2500 square foot, state-of-the-art photo and video production studio along the East Boston waterfront. PHOTO COURTESY WINDY FILMS

As a vibrant, bustling hub, Boston is home to hundreds of driven entrepreneurs with business ideas that would benefit a range of people. Will Humphrey, partner and studio manager at Studio16, noticed the struggles many faced when they were trying to rent a space for those ideas to materialize.

“It was sometimes really difficult for people to rent a studio for a one-day period or even less than a day, because all of the logistics that went into renting a studio were really hard to line up,” Humphrey said.

Studio16, a production studio that caters to both large-scale productions and startup campaigns, opened its doors Monday. The 2,500-square-foot soundproof studio lies on the shores of East Boston and is located five minutes from Logan International Airport and 10 minutes from Downtown Boston for easy access. The studio offers its location “as a photo or video studio, creative workshop or event space,” Humphrey said.

While New England has other production-based studios, Studio16 stands out by catering to a range of clients, from large-scale productions to individual content.

“This city has no shortage of great ideas, and we hope our turn-key studio and camera packages allow Boston’s image-makers, storytellers, start-ups, non-profits, inventors, creators and disruptors to bring a new level of quality to capturing and sharing those ideas,” Tripp Clemens, a partner at the studio, said in a press release.

Studio16 made the process of producing content as easy as possible for their clients by partnering with local companies in an effort to streamline the process. The studio partnered with Rule Boston Camera, a separate Boston-based company that rents out camera equipment to simplify the production process and to offer clients three pre-built camera packages ranging from $400 to $2,400. Customers can also customize a package through Rule Camera Boston.

“The packages were created to fit the needs of different clients in both capability and cost,” said Brian Malcolm, general manager of Rule Boston Camera.

While clients do have the option of creating their own package or requesting an additional piece of equipment, the company offers pre-set packages that clients “routinely ask for,” Malcolm said.

“We hope this partnership streamlines the process for creating content in a studio and makes for a stress-free experience for our customers, especially for those who arrive through Logan Airport or public transit,” Harvey Burrell, a partner at the studio, said in the release.

In the future, the studio plans on extending its partnership to other trusted local companies and freelancers.

“We hope to expand into areas such as lighting, gear, tech professionals, hair and makeup, producers, etc.,” Humphrey said

The studio currently features a moveable overhead light bank as well as two 100-foot paper rolls, ideal for creating seamless backgrounds. The studio is equipped with 20-foot ceilings and a 16-by-18-foot ground floor door that opens directly into the studio. Additionally, it provides clients with the option to rent a soundproof second-story mezzanine, complete with a full kitchen, office, editing suite and full bathroom.

“Often times it’s kind of daunting to go into a studio during a production [because] there’s a lot of moving parts,” Humphrey said. “We built this mezzanine to be that oasis where anybody who doesn’t necessarily need to be on the ground floor in the studio touching a camera can be up in the mezzanine still looking down on the studio.”

Studio16 prides itself on its accessibility for different productions. The studio is equipped for large-scale productions but also smaller ones, such as those run by individuals, small crews or college students. The studio caters to those content creators who want to take their material to the next level.

“Anybody, whether a large or small crew, over any medium of content creation, can come and feel like the space is catered to them,” Humphrey said.

A previous version of this story described the studio as having a 16-by-18 inch ground floor rather than a 16-by-18 foot ground floor. This correction is reflected in the story above.

1. where exactly is it?

2. It’s at the end of the shipyard, between KO Pies and the new condos buildings, Diane.