INTERVIEW: “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” breathes new life into classic characters

Lily James and Bella Heathcote star in the new comedy horror film “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” which is based on Jane Austen’s classic novel and opens Friday. PHOTO COURTESY SONY PICTURES

First published in 1813, Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” tells the romantic and empowering story of Elizabeth Bennet, an intelligent woman living with her parents and four sisters. In 2009, author Seth Grahame-Smith put a new spin on the classic by adding in the undead and writing The New York Times Best Seller, “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” Five years later, Lionsgate elected to make the novel into a movie.

“It’s a romance, a drama, but then … anytime you may get a bit bored, throw in a zombie attack,” said Lily James, of “Downton Abbey” fame, who plays Elizabeth in the film.

Set for worldwide release Friday, the movie also features other big names, most notably Matt Smith, of “Doctor Who,” as Mr. Collins. The two actors, along with Bella Heathcote (Jane Bennet) and Douglas Booth (Mr. Bingley), discussed the movie over a conference call interview with The Daily Free Press.

The plot begins a few decades after the outbreak of a zombie virus in 19th-century England. The Bennet sisters have been training their entire lives to fight the undead, but the arrival of Mr. Bingley, his sister Caroline and Mr. Darcy stir things up a bit. From then on, the story proceeds much like Austen’s original.

“I thought it sounded terrible,” James said. “Then, I read it and I thought it was wonderful. It’s bizarre how it works, and it’s rare that you get a script that you love that much.”

Each actor agreed that the premise was intriguing.

“I think it’s quite interesting if you add zombies to any story,” Smith said. “Somehow, it makes the stakes more dynamic.”

Booth added that he, Smith and James were acquainted before the film, making the atmosphere on set even more entertaining.

“We’re really good friends and we made really great new friends with Bella and everyone else, so it’s just a joyous job, really,” Booth said.

Grahame-Smith’s book is a mix of his written scenes and Austen’s original text, leaving much of the original characterization and plot in tact. James explained that this is the key to getting the “Austen purists” to enjoy the film.

“I think that there’s been a lot of ‘Pride and Prejudices’ before that have been done very, very well,” she said. “I think it’s interesting, especially when you love something, to see it done in a different way. What we all found was kind of crazy was that you put something so surreal and strange such as zombies into ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ and somehow some of the themes and relationships in the book become heightened, become really clear, you know.”

James cited a scene in which Elizabeth expresses her sexual frustration much more violently than in the original version by beating up Mr. Darcy after hearing him utter an insult. This energy comes from the zombies, James explained, because they heighten the entire situation and change how the characters react.

Heathcote agreed with James and said Austen herself would have enjoyed this version of the Bennet sisters.

“Austen’s all about female empowerment, and with zombies, it just has a physical expression because we get to beat the crap out of zombies,” Heathcote said. “ So, I think [the Austen purists] will like it.”

Because of the “heightened” atmosphere, the actors were able to take freedoms with the classic characters to ensure that they would survive the zombie world. James said that her portrayal of Elizabeth is harsher than Austen’s.

“Because of [the circumstances], I think my Liz Bennet is much angrier, much fiercer,” James said. “She manifests what she feels more. She can’t hide it as well as I think Liz does in the original. Because it’s a period drama and because of the zombies, it meant we could be way more free. We had knives hidden in our knickers. We could do anything we wanted.”

Although his zombie world creates a new atmosphere, Grahame-Smith’s characters’ emotions and relationships have transcending from Austen’s original work to this zombie reboot.

“I think [Jane] is just sort of shy … The relationships are the same as they are in the original in the sense that you want them to be together and everyone else can see that Jane and Bingley should be together,” Heathcote said. “But I think Jane has to be shy because Bingley has to be convinced that maybe she doesn’t love him.”

Booth added that even Jane’s fighting style is more reserved in the film, reflecting her persona.

Heathcote said training for the fight scenes in the film was an intense experience.

“I did about three months by myself in LA … then came to London and met up with all the other girls and we did lots of different skill training with weapons and choreography and got very into it,” she said.

Despite the seemingly silly concept of the film’s plot, all of the actors were sincere in their hopes that fans would take away something from the movie.

Heathcote added, “It’s like Austen, but a bit less nutritional value and a bit more, you know, candy on top.”