Field Hockey, Soccer, Sports

BU fall coaches reflect on collective Patriot League, NCAA success

BU's women's soccer team won the Patriot League title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO
BU’s women’s soccer team won the Patriot League title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO

While the Boston University men’s soccer, women’s soccer and field hockey teams won’t officially kick off their respective seasons until August 2016, they’re far from resting on their laurels.

In the midst of their abbreviated spring seasons, each group is coming off a year in which it qualified for the NCAA Tournament, a feat that only a select number of Division I schools can boast about. Outside of national recognition, the Terriers’ fall contingent won two Patriot League titles, brought home a collective nine major conference awards and won a combined 40 games.

With three veteran head coaches at the helm — Neil Roberts for men’s soccer, Nancy Feldman for women’s soccer and Sally Starr for field hockey — the Terriers enjoyed success that other colleges would be envious of. For Feldman, who just wrapped up her 21st season leading the scarlet and white, the explanation for such results is quite simple.

“It starts with Boston University both being a tremendous academic institution and a very desirable school because of the prestige, social environment and the cultural environment of being in the great City of Boston,” Feldman said. “We attract some really fantastic student-athletes, so that’s why there’s been consistent success among our teams all fall and just across the board there’s more success than not.”

Upon entering the Patriot League for the 2013-14 season, BU’s fall teams have wasted little time in adjusting from life in the America East conference. This holds true for the men’s soccer team, as it hosted the 2014 conference tournament and earned a first-round bye this past fall after posting a 6-1-2 record against several perennial contenders.

Sofi Laurito led BU's field hockey team in 2015. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sofi Laurito led BU’s field hockey team in 2015. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The likes of junior striker Felix De Bona, junior goalkeeper Matt Gilbert and sophomore midfielder Anthony Viteri led the Terriers from August to November, carrying over the environment that now-graduates Dominique Badji, Nick Thomson and Jordan Barker helped cultivate. Roberts said the reason for his team’s continued success lies in that said culture.

“They all work extremely hard and the attitude is very good,” the 31-year coaching veteran said. “It’s a collective thing with everyone pitching in and everyone trying to do their part to make it all work. We had it this past fall, and the team is continuing it right now because it’s not something you take for granted. It’s a lot of work to get it there, and it’s a commitment from the players to keep it there.”

According to Feldman, the women’s soccer team’s success can also be logically explained. 

The ever-present guidance of graduate student goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi, senior forward Jenna Fisher and senior center back McKenzie Hollenbaugh served as the team’s backbone, while freshman striker McKenna Doyle and freshman central midfielder Julianna Chen slid into prominent roles. Through that unique blend, BU fell just short of the NCAA Tournament’s Third Round.

“It was absolutely a great balance between experienced, older players and some young, incoming players,” Feldman said. “We had balance throughout the season with contributions from both sides, and the middle sophomore and junior group was good too … These younger gals have opportunity and responsibilities and proved they’re capable of not just playing, but being really important contributors.”

Starr, who has led field hockey to 12 NCAA Tournaments in her 35-year tenure, said the same sentiments explained why her team is often a national contender.

Senior co-captains Sofi Laurito and Rachel Coll led the charge, earning NFHCA All-American nods, but many others chipped in along the way, sending the stalwarts out with a bang.

“Probably first and foremost, it was a group of young women who really care for each other and really appreciate the opportunity they had to be on this team and to have the opportunity to represent Boston University,” Starr said. “They truly love each other, and they truly got along with each other on and off the field.”

Looking ahead, neither Roberts, Starr nor Feldman are content with their team’s place regionally or nationally, and that approach has resonated in their respective spring seasons. Men’s soccer is looking to “be better than we were last year,” women’s soccer stressed that the “approach is really starting over” and field hockey feels “next year will be an even bigger leap for us.”

While it remains to be seen if such success will follow suit, history suggests that BU’s fall teams will keep on setting a high standard.

“I think it all speaks to Boston University, as it’s a great academic school,” Starr said, “and as coaches, we’re able to recruit some of the top student-athletes in the country. If you’re the type of kid who wants to excel in the classroom, you’re also able to excel on the athletic field … I think the type of athletes we’ve been able to bring to Boston University really bodes well for that.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.