REVIEW: “Zootopia” sheds light on humanity

Disney flick “Zootopia” is about a rabbit police officer, Judy Hopps, who only has 48 hours to solve her first case. The film opens in theaters nationwide Friday. PHOTO COURTESY WALT DISNEY PICTURES

Disney films hold a special place in the hearts of millennials. Although many generations of children have grown up with Disney movies, they defined our childhood. We grew up on “The Lion King,” “Toy Story” and “The Little Mermaid” — classic films that shaped children across the country and touched each one of us. As the studio’s 55th animated feature, “Zootopia” is a perfect example of why the name Disney is synonymous with happiness and childhood.

The film takes place in a world of anthropomorphized animals who live in Zootopia, a city where predators and prey exist in harmony. We are told this story through the eyes of Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin), an over-achieving, optimistic bunny who lives her life by the motto of Zootopia: “Where anyone can be anything.” When Judy becomes the only bunny police officer, she finds out that life is not so simple in the big city surrounded by lions, elephants and bulls. When she finally gets assigned her first case, she has to team up with the con artist fox Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman). The duo uncovers a deep conspiracy that will destroy the very fabric of Zootopia if they don’t stop it.

Although the story may seem like a typical and trite idea for a Disney movie, in terms of talking animals, it is one of the most engaging and original Disney stories in years. Its world is brilliant and shadows our own with some witty differences.

It is clear that an extensive amount of time was put into building the world of Zootopia, a city that features different districts for different animals, including Savannah Square and Tundra Town, to name a few. There are so many creative ideas presented that the movie can be looked at as a zoological study of highly evolved animals. Some witty social satire is also present, most notably portraying the DMV workers as sloths.

On top of the unique and creative story, there are adorable characters who will steal your heart. Although not a single character is human, they are all extremely relatable and will be staples in the Disney canon for years to come.

The voices behind these characters are truly outstanding. The leading duo of Goodwin and Bateman are a surprising slam dunk that helps create dynamic and believable characters. A star-studded ensemble cast, featuring Idris Elba, J.K. Simmons, Octavia Spencer and Jenny Slate, supports them.

Disney is notorious for making child-focused movies, while their its studio, Pixar, is known for its all-encompassing demographic movies. “Zootopia” feels more like a Pixar movie in this regard — it will be well liked by children, their parents and everyone in between.

The film offers childish gags that will entertain the children, while placing some hilarious adult jokes and themes for the more mature crowd. There are plenty of great references, ranging from “The Godfather” to “Breaking Bad.” At the end of the day, it is an entertaining and witty film for all ages.

Not only is the movie original and heartwarming, but it is also beautiful to watch. The colors are vibrant and the world is so spectacularly designed that you will want to live in the city yourself. The animation is so well executed, you will forget that you are watching an animated film. The 3D animation complements it well and brings the city to life.

“Zootopia” would not be complete without a classic Disney feel-good message to wrap everything up. While it does have one, it does not suffer from the corny, forced emotion that plagues many Disney films. The central theme is mature and transcends age. It is simple yet compelling, and everyone in the theater will walk out with a slightly better outlook on life while also being wildly entertained.

“Zootopia” opens Friday in theaters nationwide.