MARTIN: BU should rethink summer financial aid

This week marked the beginning of spring. The end of the year is right around the corner. I don’t know what my plans for summer are quite yet, but I’d like to entertain the idea of taking classes during the summer. Assuming I take courses over the summer, I’d like to stay here at Boston University for the duration of my sunny months.

Growing up, I never would have considered myself the type of person to partake in year-round school. However, I’ve really blossomed this year in my academic interests. Now, more than ever, I desire knowledge. I want to learn, experiment and write — the latter being the most surprising to myself.

I came into college with a solid determination to obtain a degree in our joint mathematics and computer science programs. My writing classes, something I would have considered a burden a year ago, changed the direction of my interests. At this point, I’ve decided I want two separate majors, mathematics and computer science separately, accompanied with a minor in English and maybe another in astronomy.

Point being, I want to learn as much as I can in my four years.

Tragically, this ambition requires ample amounts of credit hours, and while I think I have a good jump on them from my Advanced Placement credits, summer courses may be a necessity if I continue so I can avoid overloading my schedule.

Essentially, instead of working, vacationing or simply returning home, I’d like to stay on campus to expand my intellect and hone my skills. It’s what’s important to me.

I love our school — I can’t see myself leaving or taking classes somewhere else. I’d like to earn my degrees with an exclusively Terrier experience.

Thankfully, the summer sessions available may just be exactly what I’ve been looking for.

If you’re unfamiliar, Boston University stays open during those sacred summer months, and classes continue. Offering more than 700 courses in a vast variety of subject fields, the university’s summer program is beyond adequate. I expect I’ll obtain the same globally respected education over the summer sessions.

In fact, if things go as planned, I’ll even have my first repeat professor!

I’m very grateful to see BU encouraging faculty and instructors to remain on campus and teach classes ranging from geometric algorithms to art history and everything in between.

Beyond the incredible number of choices when it comes to course selection and the globally recognized instructors, tuition and housing fees are, at least in comparison to the fall and spring semesters, very reasonably priced.

Currently, I’m considering taking a full schedule lasting through both summer sessions. I’d also really like to room in a single apartment, which is, of course, the slightly more expensive option. I estimate this would only cost me about $14,000, which is an incredible value considering the cost of the normal academic year.

Now, to give credit where credit is due, the summer program is well thought out and provides a wonderful opportunity for part-time students and those looking to take a couple extra classes, without requiring large lumps of cash.

However, $14,000 is no small figure, and here lies an area requiring adjustment. While the costs are considerably cheaper, the financing options are proportionally lacking. Besides those participating in the accelerated medical, physical therapy or athletic training programs — these programs are the true gems when it comes to financial assistance during the brightest season — students will likely have a difficult time earning any financial aid. That sucks a little bit.

Specifically, no BU grants or scholarships carry over into the so-called third semester. From my understanding, it’s also exceptionally difficult to receive federal aids or grants as well. This essentially forces students to fund their education through private loans or out-of-pocket cash.

This is where I really begin to question the worth of summer courses. Student loans are garbage, and dropping such a considerable amount of money all at once is uncomfortable, to say the least.

I think Boston University does a great job with financial aid during the regular academic year, but we should really see more options to pay for schooling during the summer.

If the affordability problem could at least be assisted by the school, I wouldn’t be surprised if a larger amount of students found themselves staying in Boston.

After all, students who endure such brutal winters deserve a little bit of sunshine — and $14,000. That’s not too much to ask. After all, this is our education we’re taking about. Help us do you proud, BU.