Men’s soccer shut out by American in second straight loss

Freshman forward Matt McDonnell has four points for the Terriers thus far. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University men’s soccer team fell to American University at Nickerson Field on Saturday afternoon by a score of 2-0. Rain fell throughout the game, but BU head coach Neil Roberts refused to blame the conditions for his team’s second loss in as many games.

“You know you get down a couple of goals at home obviously you’re going to get frustrated,” Roberts said.

The Terriers (3-4-1, 0-1-1 Patriot League) struggled to maintain an attack in the early part of the first half, but freshman forward Matt McDonnell had a strong opportunity that rolled just wide left in the 10th minute. It was just BU’s first shot of the game.

Roberts praised the Smithtown, New York native’s play and effort.

“[McDonnell] is a hard worker,” Roberts said. “If more of our guys had the grit he had we’d be better off. He’s going to be a real good player.”

The Terriers had a few more chances to open the scoring in the 19th minute when a corner from sophomore midfielder Magnus Benediktsson led to a shot from Anthony Viteri. The junior midfielder’s shot skipped away, leading to another Terrier corner and another missed opportunity. The Eagles’ (5-3-3, 2-0 Patriot League) defense held strong in the face of three first half corner kicks.

“We had two good chances to go up 2-0 and we didn’t put them away,” Roberts said. “American put their chances away.”

After outshooting the Terriers 9-4 through the first 45 minutes of play, American once again controlled the territorial game with several opportunities to open the second half.

In the 50th minute, Eagles senior Panos Nakhid capitalized on a quick entry into the box, kicking the ball past senior goalkeeper Matt Gilbert for his first score of the season. After the initial American goal, the game opened up as the Terriers brought up a few more players in an effort to generate some offense.

“I think the disappointing thing was the midfield,” Roberts said. “We got beat in the midfield. Every individual battle they pretty much won in the midfield.”

The sloppy play by both teams in the midfield permitted some chances for each side on the break. However, it was American that was able to get their shots off and on net. In fact, the Eagles led the held a 23-5 shot advantage throughout the game.

American would tack on another score in the 71st minute as forward Joe Iraola netted his team-leading sixth of the season, which was assisted by Nakhid.

American goalkeeper Lucas Belanger made only one save, while Gilbert made 10, keeping the Terriers in the game.

“Gilbert’s being left alone out there, it’s a shame,” Roberts said. “We have to straighten it out. We have to be a little tougher. Right now I would probably say we’re soft.”

The Terriers will look to correct these mistakes and avoid losing their third straight game when they take on Colgate University at home on Wednesday night in another league showdown.