Field Hockey, Sports

No. 15 Terriers storm past Crusaders, claiming Turnpike Trophy despite lightning delay

Senior midfielder Hester van der Laan was named Turnpike Trophy MVP. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After its game Friday against the College of the Holy Cross was suspended due to a pair of lightning strikes, the No. 15 Boston University field hockey played the final 28 minutes on Tuesday, and finished with a 3-1 victory.

There were no signs of regression from the Terriers (11-5, 4-1 Patriot League), who clinch a top-two spot in the Patriot League Tournament by toppling the Crusaders (8-7, 3-3 Patriot League).

The game held additional significance because the winner of the game helps its program inch closer to winning the Turnpike Trophy, which is a cumulative rivalry series between Holy Cross and BU. Although the Turnpike Trophy is only in its second year of existence, the Terriers’ rivalry with the Crusaders goes back over 100 years.

In Friday’s installment of the rivalry, Holy Cross scored on its first shot on goal to take a quick 1-0 lead.

However, that would be the only shot it would take the whole match.

The BU offensive pressure proved to be airtight at keeping balls out of its defensive end and created 25 shots, 12 of which were on goal.

BU head coach Sally Starr said she was very impressed with how the offense played, especially considering they had to jump back into the game more than halfway through.

“I was really pleased that we got a third goal,” Starr said. “That was critical … It’s so tough to play a game like this. I think we created some really good offense.”

Sophomore forward Kara Enoch responded later in the first half with a goal to tie the game at one.  

In what would be the game-winning goal, senior midfielder Hester van der Laan scored to put the Terriers on top 2-1, and bring her goal total to a team-high six. Van der Laan, a Patriot League All-Tournament Team selection this season, also has four assists on the year.

On Tuesday, the game picked up in the 42nd minute and saw the Terriers control the ball once again, creating a couple of chances immediately off two penalty corners.

Eventually, a van der Laan shot was deflected by Enoch past Holy Cross freshman goalkeeper Marcia LaPlante as BU’s two previous goal scorers combined to extend the Terrier lead to 3-1.

Holy Cross called a timeout in an attempt to rally a comeback, but was unable to do so, giving BU a crucial Patriot League victory. The win also keeps its hopes alive to host the league tournament as the top seed.

After the game, van der Laan was named Turnpike Trophy MVP. The Amsterdam native finished the contest with a goal and an assist.

“Overall, [van der Laan’s] a great two-way player,” Starr said. “She’s really our spark plug. I like to call her ‘Tasmanian Devil’ out there with her hair flying all around.”

The Terriers currently led the Turnpike Trophy series 2-0 after the women’s soccer team defeated the Crusaders earlier this month.

Next up for BU is a road showdown on Saturday at American University in its final regular season contest of the year.

There are major implications in this matchup, as the winner will clinch home field advantage for postseason play.

According to Starr, her team just needs to stay on task, and the rest will come easy.

“Just really go down there and play our best hockey that we can play,” she said. “Really focus on ourselves, focus on our fundamentals, focus on how we like to play the game.”