JOHNSTON: Way to go, Weiner

Just like that, America is bombarded with yet another firestorm of publicity after the recent decision by the FBI decision to look into more emails possibly related to Hillary Clinton. FBI Director James Comey decided to shake things up for Halloween by announcing that he simply is not done with Mrs. Clinton.

Much to the dismay of the HRC camp, Anthony Weiner is making yet another appearance on national news. The man is full of disgrace, and there’s practically no reason anyone should respect this corrupt and perverted former politician. Although it’s unclear how much this knob had to do with the newfound emails, the fact that he’s involved is laughable. The man is a walking collection of poor decisions.

The FBI uncovered the emails on Weiner’s laptop while investigating the former congressman for essentially being an idiot. This time, the emails were from his estranged wife and Clinton advisor, Huma Abedin.

The emails case is undoubtedly the most interesting event that could possibly have happened so close to Election Day.

Will it matter? That’s the exciting part.

Clearly the Democrats aren’t going to blow this off as nonsense. Despite their preparations for the victory parades already underway, the DNC is up in arms that Comey is deliberately trying to sway the election.

Hillary has confidently reminded supporters at rallies that the investigation will only reveal the same verdict as before. She wonders why the investigators, mostly Comey, have decided to re-open her worst nightmare with “no evidence” to support their cause.

Nice try, Hillary.

Unfortunately for her, President Obama, the crowned prince of the Democratic party, doesn’t seem to have her back like many of her other Democratic constituents.

A press conference with White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest revealed how Obama feels about the situation.

“Director Comey is a man of integrity, he’s a man of principle and he’s a man of good character,” Earnest said when asked to comment on Comey.

Interesting approach by Obama. It’s one of the rare occasions where he’s actually tried to remain neutral on the political battlefield. The White House doesn’t believe that Comey has violated the Hatch Act, which prohibits federal employees from utilizing the power of their position to influence an election. Seeing as Obama appointed the director in 2013, maybe he’s embarrassed by the crazy behavior. Maybe he thinks the investigation won’t be able to gain enough traction to sway an election that’s taking place so soon. After all, it’s already November and the election, in case you forgot, is less than a week away.

However, the internet is a powerful tool that no one has seen the likes of in any election season before. Using this tool, the far right has come out full charge on this. Memes mocking the corruption are all over social media, and a quick glance at the Drudge Report will link you to many articles outlining how this is Hillary’s ultimate demise as a qualified candidate for president.

Many on the right are beginning to remind voters about one of the most important investigations in the history of the United States: Watergate. You know, the scandal that Forrest Gump reported to the police after checking into the Watergate Hotel at exactly the same time Richard Nixon’s goons were breaking in and tampering with the 1972 presidential election. Nixon demolished his Democrat counterpart that year. He probably didn’t need to mess with it in the first place, but that’s beside the point.

Unfortunately, money trails and tape recordings darkened the mood of the victory soon after the election. Nixon seriously goofed up, bombarded with enough evidence against him to force his resignation two years later, in August of 1974. It was a noble decision and his speech is legendary.

In 2016, 44 years after the fateful political blunder by Republicans, we are faced with an astonishingly similar situation. According to a poll by Politico, 45 percent of people think Hillary’s scandal is worse than Watergate. Although many of those polled were likely uneducated on the matter, it demonstrates the severity of the re-opening of the case. People care, despite Hillary’s delusions that they stopped thinking about it months ago.

Just when we thought we were going to elect the first female president in history, we must now wait to see how the scandal affects the final week of the campaign. Assuming she is still able to snag the throne, perhaps marginally, we will be further waiting the conclusion of the investigation. What if the FBI charges Hillary with a felony? It seems likely that the beginning of her presidency could be full of court trials and media bombardment. Will she be forced to resign?

Needless to say, this is extremely unhealthy for our country. It’s heartbreaking to think the United States may be electing a criminal into office, faced with the alternative that’s not much better.

It’s safe to say, although perhaps cliché at this point, that America has failed itself this year.

Heartbreaking may be an understatement.