REVIEW: “Doctor Strange” falls short of Marvel legacy

Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Stephen Strange in Marvel’s new release “Doctor Strange.” PHOTO COURTESY JAY MAIDMENT

This movie tells the tale of a well off but arrogant man whose life is shattered through some fault of his own. He eventually finds himself far away from home, only to find new purpose in his life as a superhero. This is the tale of “Iron Man.” But, as it turns out, this is also the tale of “Doctor Strange.”

“Doctor Strange” is fine. It’s good, in fact. Marvel Studios has their production process down to a science. The film is a return to the assembly line style of production that was prevalent during Hollywood’s early years.

The latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe promises something new with its introduction of magic and mystical forces. In this regard, “Doctor Strange” actually delivers spectacularly. The visual effects on display are marvelous — pun intended — trekking into some truly mind-bending territory.

The use of 3-D can, at times, enhance the visuals, or detract from them. In some cases, they made the scenes slightly more immersive. But more often than not, they create a strange blurring effect that makes the action harder to follow.

While the visuals are the real standout, they cannot uplift the film’s painfully “by the book” story. A snarky but likable hero: check. A forgettable villain with paper-thin motivations: check. References to other MCU characters and teases for upcoming films? Check and check.

Not to mention the story moves at a breakneck pace, leaving almost no room for character development. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) goes from a novice to legendary sorcerer status in about five minutes. The film has no idea how to handle or signal the passage of time, leaving gaps in the audience’s perception.

What seems like only a few weeks of training time turns out to be months. But even in that longer span of time, there is barely any dramatic struggle to Strange’s training. There is one scene where the film tries to show him struggling with a magical test that is literally life or death, but there is absolutely no suspense because we already know he has to live.

Strange himself is fleshed out well enough, although he’s a bit too similar to Iron Man. So much so, one can’t help but wonder if he’s meant to replace Tony Stark once Robert Downey Jr.’s contract runs out. The other characters, however, leave much to be desired.

This lapse is unfortunate considering the amount of talent this cast has collectively. Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Tilda Swinton and Mads Mikkelsen are all actors known for their high-profile, prestigious and dramatic work. When the news came out that they would all be in “Doctor Strange,” people thought this was the beginning of something new for the MCU.

Unfortunately, it’s not.

The supporting characters are one-dimensional. Simple and clichéd motivations place these characters just a step above set dressing.

Another disappointing aspect of the film is its mythology. “Doctor Strange” barely scratches the surface of its own lore, which is one of its strongest assets. This is the first time magic is being introduced into the MCU, as Thor the Norse God is actually science-driven, not understood by humans.

What we get a taste of in this film is absolutely fascinating, but the film skims over so many different points while never diving deeper into any of them.

We learn that there are different mystic headquarters scattered all over the world, but we only get to see them serve as backdrops for action-packed scenes. We get glimpses of countless magical artifacts and books, but never learn anything from them beyond what is absolutely necessary to the plot.

“Doctor Strange” had the potential to be something truly different, so it is sorely disappointing it wasn’t. The movie is only innovative visually, but in regard to everything else, it is very paint-by-numbers. It’s just another good Marvel movie, not the great one this franchise desperately needs. The film should’ve stuck to its namesake, and tried something a little stranger.