Men’s basketball undefeated at home, 0-2 on the road

Junior forward Nick Havener ranks third in the Patriot League in rebounding. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s basketball team has seemingly benefited from their fans’ support at Case Gym in the early going this year, as it is 4-0 at home through six games.

However, BU (4-2) has yet to win a road game, losing its opening contest at Northeastern University and its most recent game at Saint Peter’s University in Jersey City, New Jersey.

BU head coach Joe Jones acknowledged his team’s home court advantage, but said the team has to play better on the road.

“It’s definitely had an impact, playing at home versus on the road,” Jones said. “We have to come out with a different mindset when we’re on the road and respond better to the away environments.”

BU’s mediocrity away from home was evident last season as well, when it went 10-9 away from home.

The Terriers’ next matchup is against the University of Connecticut in Hartford, Connecticut on Wednesday. It should be a test for BU, as the Huskies are one of college basketball’s premier programs. Jones hopes the Terriers can come out with more energy on the road to get their first win away from Case Gym this year.

Eric Fanning’s solid offensive output vital for Terriers’ success

With four consecutive victories before their loss to Saint Peter’s (3-2) on Monday, the Terriers are off to their best start since the 2013-14 season, when it won the Patriot League regular season championship.

This season, BU has a legitimate foundation to compete for the Patriot League title, led by senior guard Eric Fanning.

The Trenton, New Jersey native has been BU’s most reliable scoring option so far this season. He leads the team in scoring at 13.8 points per game, which is eighth in the Patriot League. He also led the team in scoring last season, putting up 15.2 points per game, which ranked fifth in the Patriot League.

Despite Fanning’s struggles in the Terriers’ most recent matchup against Saint Peter’s, a 80-67 loss, Jones noted Fanning’s scoring ability and importance to the team.

“Eric is a really important piece, and he is a key in our success,” Jones said. “One thing he has to work on is coming out with the same focused mindset every day, whether it’s in practice or a game.”

Havener’s hustle proves invaluable for Terriers

Junior forward Nick Havener has proved to be an integral part of the Terriers’ rotation. His quality shot selection coupled with his tenacity and rebounding prowess make him a useful asset on the court.  

Havener has built upon an impressive sophomore season as the 6-foot-8 forward is shooting 71.4 percent from the field this year. His presence has been felt on the glass as well, as he’s pulling down 6.8 rebounds per game thus far. His rebounding ranks third in the Patriot League among all qualified players.

“Nick gives us someone to cheat off of,” Jones said. “What I mean is that he does all the unnoticed things well that help our team win. It’s all the little things. He rebounds, boxes out and is a good hustler.”

However, Havener didn’t play in BU’s loss to Saint Peter’s, and his defensive presence and rebounding ability were missed, as the Terriers gave up 80 points and only grabbed 33 rebounds.  

In their upcoming matchup against UConn on Wednesday night, the Terriers hope to have Havener back in the lineup for a crucial away contest and a key matchup against 7-foot center Amida Brimah, who is averaging six rebounds per game.

If Havener can’t go, look for senior center Blaise Mbargorba and senior forward Dylan Haines to step up in his place. Regardless, Wednesday’s contest should be a tough test for Jones’ side.