REVIEW: The Rolling Stones reflect on blues roots in new cover album

The Rolling Stones’ new classic blues album “Blue & Lonesome” is its first studio album in over a decade. PHOTO COURTESY POLYDOR RECORDS

The Rolling Stones is a band most anyone could recognize, even younger generations. The British rock band formed in the 1960s and quickly built up fame, releasing chart-topping albums over the next several decades that included hit songs such as “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and “Gimme Shelter” that are still popular today.

Unlike those albums, however, The Rolling Stones’ newest album, “Blue & Lonesome,” is comprised fully of covers of American blues songs that once inspired them. For the English rock band, this album is the first of its kind.

Released Friday, “Blue & Lonesome” was recorded on a whim while the band was in the studio working on a different project, according to an Apple Music interview with current members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts published Wednesday.

After playing a blues song for fun, the artists decided to keep playing until they suddenly had the 12 songs featured on the album, they explained.

The entire album, co-produced by Don Was and The Glimmer Twins, was recorded live in just three days with no overdub, according to the band’s website.

Featuring blues songs by American blues artists ranging from Howlin’ Wolf to Little Walter to Jimmy Reed, it is easy to hear that the band had fun recording the album, but the enthusiasm may not as contagious as they may have hoped.

The concept of “Blue & Lonesome” is intriguing because of its spontaneity. At first glance, it seems like the perfect answer to the question many big musicians, like The Rolling Stones, are often asked regarding their inspirations.

However, this album seems like overkill in answering that question. The necessity for an album full of blues standards is unclear, especially considering that, to the untrained ear, every track sounds so similar that it is easy to lose track of where one ends and the next begins.

Nonetheless, for what it is (talented musicians jamming to some old obscure tunes with the record button pushed), the tracks are good.

For the most part, Jagger’s vocals are nothing to get excited over. He lets loose in seemingly calculated ways throughout the album, but what particularly reminds us of his younger vocal ability is the closing number “I Can’t Quit You Baby” with its gritty screams and growls. This track also features outstanding guitar playing by Eric Clapton, making it one of the best on the album.

Jagger makes up for the generally simple vocals with his harmonica playing, using the small instrument to successfully fill up large solo spaces in many of the tracks. We are immediately hit by this in the opening song, “Just Your Fool,” which was released as a single. 

In the moody “Little Rain,” Jagger’s harmonica brings the tune to life before the track fades out slowly.

“Ride ‘Em On Down,” released Thursday on YouTube with a music video featuring Kristen Stewart driving in an old-school Dodge — complete with dice hanging from the rearview mirror — takes its place in the middle of the album. It picks up the pace after slow-swinging “Everybody Knows About My Good Thing” graces us with another featured Clapton solo.

Watts holds the songs together with strong and steady drums, necessary for successful blues. Accompanied by simple but electric and gritty guitar licks by Richards and Wood and steady bass lines by Darryl Jones, the perfect foundation is laid.

Ultimately, The Rolling Stones made a solid blues album full of songs most people have never heard before with “Blue & Lonesome.” It is completely different from anything the band has ever done in its over 50 years of playing, with a discography comprised of rock ‘n’ roll music.

Though the necessity for an album like this from The Rolling Stones is unclear, that does not mean the quality of the new foot-tapping, head-bobbing release is any less.

As a band whose youngest member is 69, “Blue & Lonesome” is like the ultimate reflection on its roots — what made them so interested in music as young English lads many years ago. Interestingly enough, it was American blues that inspired them, and this album serves as a testament to the genre.