JOHNSTON: Let today be a decent day

It seemed as though this second semester crept up a tad faster than previous ones. I don’t know if that is because I spent most of my time worrying about where I will end up after I graduate, or because of the anxiety of knowing we will be calling Donald Trump “Mr. President.”

By no means do I subscribe to the lefts’ insistent and, at this point, the cliché fearmongering tactics, which only ensure to make everyone more afraid of having a nonpolitician take office for the first time. I don’t believe that helps anyone’s cause.

I have my concerns. Every American should. It is our duty to question the government for we are the government, in case you forgot. With a totally new system coming to fruition, it would be unwise to sit back and pretend like 2017 will be without issue.

However, I have had enough of the stories about how Trump has already failed us and how there is simply no hope for American social progress. That is as ridiculous as it is uneducated. He hasn’t even stepped into office, and I bet The Huffington Post has already written news articles about how the “overwhelming majority” feel that Trump was a failed president.

Enough.

The urban populous has gotten itself lost in its own ego again. It has forgotten that many in the country do not live their lives within walking distance of a Dunkin’ Donuts or have access to a subway system.

The urban elite look around, see inequality and immediately think to demand governmental change to solve the issues. This way they can go back to watching Netflix, sipping their Starbucks and feeling righteous that, despite Trump getting elected and bringing change, they voted for the party of progress, the party that is for the little guy.

They fail to realize that, in today’s America, the little guy really doesn’t even live in a city. The little guy is the citizen with no voice because his or her residence isn’t located near the headquarters of a major publication.

The little guy voted for change under Trump, whether they liked his temperament or not. They voted to stop the urban elites from dictating morals, instead reconsidering who they are and what they believe in.

The disenfranchisement of American citizens was felt outside of those who voted Democrat in November. Ask a poor farmer in Iowa who is in power, and surely he will raise concerns over the urban voices that clog the airways. Of course, he wouldn’t judge those liberals, for he would understand that they too have their own problems. They too work hard for a better life.

He would tell you they are noble for believing in something, and are not deplorable. The same just cannot be said from the other side.

At Boston University, if you were not heartbroken by Trump’s election, something must be wrong with you.

You must be racist because there is no way that a hands-off government, one that promotes business development and personal liberty, could ever help salvage economic prosperity for the urban poor. Only government action, which picks and chooses its winners by its moral code, can and should be implemented.

The farmer in Iowa believes in individualism and sovereignty that can only come with a smaller government and a return to decency among the American populous.

It is decency that will allow us to be a socially progressive country, one that is understanding instead of label-hungry. I hope to see a return to decency so I don’t have to be a cisgender, white conservative-minded male. I can just be Andrew, someone who tries hard to love everyone and works hard for a good life.

That is why I won’t be screaming hate speech at Trump’s inauguration, and you best believe the farmer in Iowa won’t either. An inauguration is a time for the country to come together and listen to the first words spoken by a new president.

Maybe the office will make the man. I hope so. I am willing to give him a shot. I won’t judge if you do not do the same as I believe everyone is free to demonstrate, but I encourage you to take a step back and ask why so many Americans are not like you. Not all people are decent, but we all ought to strive to be.

Jan. 20 seems to be a fine day to start. A decent day I hope it will be.