REVIEW: Migos mix slow R&B with impressive raps in “Culture”

After the viral breakout hit "Bad and Boujee," Migos releases its new album “Culture” on Friday. PHOTO COURTESY 300 ENTERTAINMENT
After the viral breakout hit “Bad and Boujee,” Migos releases its new album “Culture” on Friday. PHOTO COURTESY 300 ENTERTAINMENT

Upon receiving two Golden Globes this year, rapper and actor Donald Glover declared in his acceptance speech that rap trio Migos is the “Beatles of this generation.”

Glover’s loaded statement wasn’t too far off, as the group’s latest single “Bad and Boujee” has recently topped Billboard’s Hot 100. As a track full of catchy, syndicated trap beats and fast-paced club talk, the single has become a classic club hit. It is impossible to listen to rap and pop music on the radio without hearing the track. On top of that, variations of its lyrics have flooded Twitter as a popular meme.

Following the success of “Bad and Boujee,” the group released their sophomore album “Culture” on Friday. Prior to “Culture,” Migos had a number of other projects, such as studio album “Yung Rich Nation” and multiple mixtapes like “YRN 2.”

Founded in 2009, the rap group consists of three members known as Quavo, Takeoff and Offset. From Lawrenceville, Georgia, the band is part of the larger movement of popular rap music that originates from Georgia and the Atlanta region. Glover also hails from Atlanta, perhaps giving extra reason for his Golden Globes shoutout.

Migos signed with music label Quality Control Music in 2013 and the group made a big splash on the music scene after popular rapper Drake remixed their song “Versace” in 2013. “Versace” propelled the growth of the group’s popularity and the band continued to gain momentum with the success of their 2013 track “Fight Night.” Since then, the group has performed concerts with big name rappers such as 2 Chainz and Snoop Dogg.

A much-anticipated release, “Culture” is a 13-track album worthy of multiple listens that ultimately serves as an evolutionary step for the group. The album art and title pay homage to the culture of Georgia, with the album cover featuring several Georgian landmarks and references.

In the first track of the album, also titled “Culture,” featured artist DJ Khaled opens up the song with an announcement full of hype: “For all of you f–kboys that ever doubted Migos, you played yourself!” As a major pop culture icon, Khaled announces to the rest of the world that all of the band’s success and hard work has been well deserved and that listeners should pay attention, too.

Looking past aforementioned “Bad and Boujee,” there are still tracks on the album that stay true to Migos’ trademark sound. Every song up until now has distinctly consisted of hastily syndicated triplet beats, layered over cold cut ad-libs, which then translate into a chorus that loudly repeats the name of the song. It’s been a recipe for a successful earworm and highly imitated throughout the rap scene. The songs on the album that follow this pattern, such as “T-Shirt” and “All Ass,” are still a blast to listen to, but there are also other songs on the album that offer a new, slower sound.

“What the Price” and “Kelly Price” essentially sound like R&B tracks. They’re a gentle step into the genre, judging by the excess of auto-tune in the songs and lack of range in the singer’s voices. Yet the tracks still represent a new direction in the group’s sound, which is an important step. They’re certainly not songs one would listen to on the way to the club or getting ready for a party, but they deserve listens in a more relaxed environment.

“Culture” proves Migos is a rap group that is finally comfortable in their own trap sound and eccentric ad-libs (listen for the repetition of “woo, woo, woo,” in “Bad and Boujee”), and they are ready for a new turn in their music.

While Migos is not specifically touring for the new album, it has several concerts coming up around the country from Sunday through March 25. An album tour is anticipated, though it has not been announced.