Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse begins Patriot League play, faces Bucknell

Senior attacker Taylor Hardison had 4 points against Fairfield and will need to come up big again for the Terriers to win at Bucknell. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Following a thrilling overtime victory against Fairfield University, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team will be heading down to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania to take on Bucknell University for its Patriot League opener.

The Terriers (2-4) are playing only their second game since their spring break action in California. During their first game back, freshman attacker Kailey Conry played hero ball, recording a career-high six points and scoring the final OT goal.

BU fell behind four separate times throughout the game, but managed to nullify each lead Fairfield (2-4) had, including one impressive offensive spurt in which it scored two goals in 17 seconds, to go up 7-6.

The game was an exciting one, and BU head coach Liz Robertshaw plans to use that momentum going forward.

“I think we want to take things we learned offensively and use it going forward,” Robertshaw said. “We had a lot of different goal scorers.”

Sophomore midfielder Kelly Mathews, junior attacker Mickenzie Larivee and senior attacker Elisabeth Jayne all had two goals. Conry, junior midfielder Caroline English, freshman midfielder Lexi Lewis and senior attacker Taylor Hardison each had one as well.

Senior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan also had an efficient game, tallying nine saves.

The Terriers boast a 2-1 record at home, but haven’t won a game on the road. They are 0-3 away from Nickerson Field, including an opening day loss at Boston College on Feb. 15, and two more losses to USC and San Diego State in California. Robertshaw said she isn’t too worried about where her team plays, as long as they win.

“It doesn’t matter where we play, it’s still early in the season and every team needs to find their identity,” Robertshaw said.

She added that her team may have found its identity in their last game.

“The fact that we can battle is important. We empowered each other,” she said.

The Terriers will be in for another battle as they take on the Bison (5-2). Bucknell had won three in a row, including some high-octane offensive performances with a 16-6 victory over Wagner University and a 14-10 victory over Monmouth University. Additionally, they are 3-1 at home.

Bucknell sports a trio of goal scorers who have already reached double digits this season in junior attackers Eve Lukowski (10) and Sarah Galzerano (11), as well as senior midfielder Maddy Molinari (14).

Non-conference play for the Terriers is officially over as they prepare to play their familiar Patriot League foes. Despite going 2-4, the Terriers ended the non-conference slate on a high note by putting their losses in California behind them and playing a hard-fought, resilient game against the Stags. The Bison, on the other hand, ended non-conference play on a more sour note, suffering an 11-7 loss at Temple University, ending their three game wining streak.

The Terriers will look towards their leading goal-scorers Jayne (11), Larivee (10), junior attacker Avery Donahoe (8), and Mathews (8) to produce a bulk of their offensive production this weekend.

Furthermore, Conry and Hardison will play important roles on offense, leading the team with 11 and 10 assists, respectively.

This will be the only matchup between Bucknell and BU for the regular season. However, a possible matchup in the Patriot League conference tournament remains a possibility, which starts May 2.

The Bison will be BU’s first opponent from the Patriot League, so naturally, the stakes will be higher.

Robertshaw said every game is high intensity for the Terriers, but she understands the importance of playing a Patriot League opponent.

“When we get into conference play, we want to bring our best.”