REVIEW: “Iron Fist” disappoints with dull characters, uninteresting plot

Finn Jones stars as Danny Rand in the Netflix original series, “Iron Fist.” PHOTO COURTESY MANUEL BILLETER

Netflix’s newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and its latest buildup to the series, “The Defenders,” is “Iron Fist,” a show that proves mediocrity can be just as damaging as terrible acting or writing.

Netflix released the first season of “Iron Fist” on Friday, which consists of a total of 13 episodes. The first episode of the series, “Snow Gives Way,” features Finn Jones as Danny Rand, the son of a wealthy business owner. Rand presumably disappeared 15 years prior to the start of the show at the age of 10, when his parents’ private jet crashed while flying over the Himalayas. Years later, he returns to New York in the hopes of reclaiming his father’s company. Appearing with baggy sweatpants, a dirty sweater, no shoes and a scruffy beard, Danny Rand is confused as to why no one believes that he is the presumed dead son of a rich man who died over a decade ago.

This is the main conflict of the entire first episode, and it is far from interesting. Part of this is due to the portrayal of the protagonist, Danny Rand. While Jones attempts to give the character a sort of wide-eyed charm, the script doesn’t allow for this innocence to really shine through. Danny essentially fights his way into his father’s old company that is now owned by his childhood bully, Ward Meachum (Tom Pelphrey). After being told to leave, Danny breaks into his old house that is now owned by his childhood friend, Joy Meachum (Jessica Stroup), and follows a New York martial arts instructor, Colleen Wing (Jessica Henwick). He insists that she hire him as a kung fu instructor at her dojo. Danny is shocked when people are appalled by his actions.

“Iron Fist” also suffers from an obvious, boring and unintentionally ridiculous villain. The minute this character appears on screen, everything indicates to their evil nature. The only source of entertainment “Iron Fist” provides is a disbelieving laugh when it is revealed that this character has what is essentially an evil lair, equipped with dark colors, a punching bag, a chess set and a beleaguered intern or secretary (it is never specified what this character does or how he applied for a position in this secret evil lair). While the first episode does not indicate whether or not the evil lair is meant to be humorous or not, all evidence points toward it being a completely serious addition to the show.

One of the most important elements to a show about a superhero are the fight scenes and their pacing. Unfortunately, this is another element that “Iron Fist” lacks. The action is slow, basic and not compelling in any way. It was almost too easy to predict where the next kick or punch would land, and which direction Danny would backflip. As a show that is meant to rely on action, its repetitive and boring fight scenes added to the bland and predictable tone of this first episode.
While “Iron Fist” has a lot working against it, it is not entirely terrible. With her experience as a martial arts instructor and impatience with Danny’s antics, Henwick’s portrayal of Colleen is very promising. Occasionally, Jones succeeds in his attempt to give Danny an air of innocence and optimism, but that is often overshadowed by the needs of the script.

Overall, Netflix and Marvel’s latest addition to the MCU canon, “Iron Fist” is the weakest one yet. It lacks the writing and pacing of its predecessors and shows little promise for improvement in future episodes. In other words, “Iron Fist” is boring. The characters lack the charisma to entice the audience to root for anyone, the story is not compelling, and the action is slow and predictable. It’s not terrible, but it suffers from an affliction much worse than that: mediocrity.

1. did all the critics actually watch the show and why are the reviews almost all worded like the same writer wrote them? Perhaps you shouldn’t review a genre if you aren’t a fan of it because then you aren’t really the target audience, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

• I happen to love the Marvel and DC comics, have read multiple different issues of “The Defenders” franchise, have seen all of the Marvel movies, and all of the other Netflix TV shows about The Defenders and agree with this review about the show completely. So I don’t understand what you mean by how if you don’t like a show then you clearly aren’t part of “the target audience” for it? You can dislike a show while being a fan of the Marvel genre and original material or be the attended audience for it- just saying.

2. the critics are right on… the show is slow, dialogue is bland, fight scenes are boring, and worst of all is iron fist himself… such a corny and uncharismatic character… hopefully, he’s better in the defenders series

3. Thus far, I have to agree with the above review. I am more compelled to see Wing in action, rather than Rand. There is more life to her fighting and acting than Rand’s. Just comparing to Daredevil, the fighting in this show is lackluster at best.

4. I don’t think you need to be a fan of a particular “super hero” (stretching that term here I think) to know whether a TV show, in general, is good or not.

The end of the last episode of the season topped it off completely for me as far as the writing was involved. Characters, Joy and Davos (who I don’t recall ever meeting?) sitting and having a coffee together while discussing a plan to kill Danny… Well, Joy fell out with her father at the end when she discovered he had set up Danny (whom she liked) and yet suddenly she’s talking about how to kill him (even though she’s also clearly against murder throughout). Absolutely no sense at all here and seemed like some last-ditch attempt to scrape a cliff-hanger together leading to a 2nd season.

I was unfamiliar with Iron Fist prior to watching this but in the end I found myself just getting annoyed with Danny Rand. Started off likeable but became a bag of scoffs, grunts and childish tantrums.