7th Inning Stretch: Four years later, we are still “Boston Strong”

Four years after the Boston Marathon bombings, the event continues to bring runners and fans together. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

I vividly remember April 15, 2013. I remember the fear. The confusion. A terrorist attack? In Boston?

I remember my hometown of Newton, as well as surrounding Boston suburbs, being shut down. I remember the seemingly endless manhunt that ensued. I remember the relief when it all ended.

Even though the Boston Marathon Bombing did not directly affect anyone I know personally, the events of 2013 Patriots’ Day will forever be burned into my mind.

Just days later, on April 20, I remember gathering with my parents to watch the first Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park since the tragedy. The pregame ceremony honored the first responders, the survivors, and of course, the victims. An emotional video tribute played, accompanied by Jeff Buckley’s beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” There wasn’t a dry eye in the stadium. Or in the Gurvis household.

Then came the Big Papi speech. Ask any Red Sox fan; they’ll remember what David Ortiz said that day. I know I sure do.

“Alright, Boston,” began the beloved slugger. “This jersey that we wear today, it doesn’t say ‘Red Sox.’ It says ‘Boston.’ We want to thank you, Mayor [Thomas] Menino, Governor [Deval] Patrick, the whole police department for the great job that they did this past week.”

Then Big Papi uttered the words that have come to mean more to the city of Boston than any walk-off homerun he ever smashed.

“This is our f—ing city. And nobody’s going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.” He raised his fist in solidarity, and walked off the field.

Chills.

The magic of Boston Strong, of course, did not end that week. It carried the Sox all the way to a World Championship. It allowed for a touching moment during the championship parade, when Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia placed the World Series trophy on the Boston Marathon finish line. The 2013 season is forever in a class of its own.

Four years later, Ortiz’s words, and the Boston Strong movement, still evoke strong emotions for me and for many Bostonians. The Red Sox, as well as the Celtics and Bruins, provided much-needed support and distraction for a hurting city. Whether you love sports or not, the incredible unity and love that consumed Boston following the bombing meant everything.

In many respects, it still does. As I watched the 121st Boston Marathon on Monday, I was blown away by the number of Boston Strong shirts in the streets. No matter how much time passes, our pride will never fade. In honor of Patriots’ Day, the Red Sox again wore “Boston” jerseys with the Boston Strong patch. The events of 2013 have forever changed this city.

Tragedy can strike anywhere, at any time and in various forms. Everyone reacts to heartache differently. But the power of sports to bring people together in the face of devastation will never cease to amaze me. I may be too young to remember September 11, 2001, but the role my Boston teams played in the aftermath of the bombing transcends sports. Fans didn’t go to Fenway or TD Garden just to watch a game. They went to be surrounded by tens of thousands of their fellow Bostonians. Their family. They went to escape the harsh realities of our world, and hide in a stadium full of love and camaraderie. They came together to embody Boston Strong.

As the years go by, the impacts of April 15, 2013 will continue to diminish. The pain will slowly dissipate. But Monday assured me of one thing: We will never forget.

Every Patriots’ Day, we will celebrate our freedom, honor those who fight to preserve it, and remember those whom we have lost along the way. Each April, in stadiums and on the streets, Bostonians will emerge in droves to display their pride and resolve. With the support of Big Papi and our cherished sports teams, we will continue to show the world that we are Boston Strong.