Students report campus-wide Wi-Fi outage

Several students reported Monday night that they experienced a Wi-Fi outage in parts of South, Central and West Campus.

Atid Malka, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he posted in the Official Boston University Class of 2019 Facebook group about the issue, which quickly aggregated students who were voicing similar frustrations.

Malka said his roommate noticed the outage at their South Campus residence at 7:15 p.m. before Malka returned and noticed at 9:15 p.m. He said they called the IT Help Center, but have been unable to get an estimate as to when the issue would be resolved.

Matthew Kurzweil, a sophomore in the Questrom School of Business, said he noticed the outage while studying for finals in the Mugar Memorial Library.

“I noticed it around 10 [p.m.] and it was [down for] everyone on the fourth floor at least,” he said. “A lot of people just tethered to their phones or did something that didn’t require internet.”

The Wi-Fi outage also delayed the Student Government Senate meeting at the Photonics Center. College of Engineering Sen. Nehemiah Dureus plugged an Ethernet cable into Senate Chair Dan Collins’ laptop to start the meeting with Wi-Fi.

Quinn Leuper, a computer assistant programmer at the IT Help Center, said the center was still trying to diagnose what caused the outage as of 10 p.m.

“The people in charge of fixing the issue are optimistic that is should be done sometime tonight,” Leuper said.

Campus News Editor Fall '17