Former Terrier basketball star Justin Alston signs to play in Germany

Former Terrier Justin Alston says he’s looking forward to the challenges of playing professional basektball in Germany. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO

Former Boston University Terrier Justin Alston marched across the stage at Nickerson Field to accept his degree in May of this year. Now, the former men’s basketball standout is moving toward both a career and a place many Terriers do not end up. Alston is heading to Germany to pursue a professional basketball career.

The 6-foot-8-inch forward will be shipping off to Trier, Germany suiting up for coach Marco van den Berg and the Romerstrom Gladiators after signing his contract on Thursday.

Because of numerous injuries, including one that knocked him out of his senior season, he received a medical redshirt and fifth year of eligibility. But despite these challenges, playing professional basketball has been the plan all along.

“This was the plan my whole life. When I first started playing basketball it was always about getting to the next level,” Alston said. “I knew [injuries] were just a test from God. It was another thing I had to battle and I had to just stay with it and overcome. I’ve been hurt before, I’ve broken bones before while playing basketball and it’s just another test. I came back for my grad year and had an even better year than I probably would have had before the injury. So, everything happens for a reason.”

In his final year, Alston was named to the postseason All-Patriot League second-team. Highlighted by five 20 point outbursts and 10 games securing at least eight rebounds, Alston has proven that he is ready for the next level.

“The first thing I would say is, Justin Alston is the reason you’d want to coach sports,” BU men’s basketball head coach Joe Jones said.

Alston won the team’s Most Improved Award three years in a row and his personality reflects all of the skills he has on the court.

“An unbelievable person, tremendous teammate. A guy that you just love being around everyday. A great attitude, great energy, motivated,” Jones said of Alston. “He just never stops working and it was capped off in his senior year by having his best season. Justin was a star as a person, got better every year and had a great career. He never relented, he didn’t make excuses, he kept working, not one time did he come to me in four years and talk about playing time.”

Alston credits his agency, Elevation Basketball Agency for getting his name out to teams overseas. He said he appreciates the support his family, Jones, as well as former Terriers Dom Morris ‘14 and John Holland ‘11 have given him. Romerstrom Gladiators showed interest early on in his search for the right fit, and Alston pounced on the opportunity after getting an NBA workout with the Boston Celtics.

Not only will becoming a professional basketball player be an adjustment for Alston, but spending nearly 10 months abroad will be a novel and exciting experience, Alston said.

“It’s a challenge, a risk that I’m willing to take, and I am really excited to even have the opportunity to be a professional basketball player,” he said.

Alston said he considered staying stateside to test the NBA Summer League, but ultimately decided to embark on a special experience.

“I’m young and I want to go abroad and just view the world,” he continued.

Alston’s intelligence spans beyond the hardwood. After earning his bachelor’s degree in hospitality, he completed a masters degree in five years in project management. Following his basketball career, Alston envisions employing his leadership skills to the corporate world after.

“I want to do consulting work either with construction or in the government,” Alston said about his post-hoops career plans. “Making sure that the projects are on time, on budget and I’ll be the controller. It’s a job where you oversee everything so you know everything about the business.”

Alston also had experience working for a timeshare company as well as working for BU Athletics doing marketing.

“I’ve definitely had time to venture out and do things other than basketball and school,” Alston said.

Since graduating, Alston said he does not miss having to wake up early for classes. But he has a new intellectual challenge with having to understand conversational German.

With the Romerstrom Gladiators, Alston said he envisions himself playing as both the power forward and center positions and is working tirelessly this summer with multiple trainers to improve both his post and guard skills.

“I’m really working on developing my shot and being able to put the ball on the floor more, being effective in the moves that I like to make on the block and in the high post area,” Alston said.

With his trainers and supporters around him at home in the Washington, D.C. area over the summer, Alston said he’s ready for three intense training months and moving on to the professional basketball world.

Jones said he’s seen vast improvement since Alston’s college career ended nearly three months ago.

“I saw him play recently and he looked more athletic, more confident, more skilled,” Jones said. “I think Justin’s going to have a great career because he is a great person, he makes great choices and I think he’s really going to adjust well to professional life.”

Being able to focus strictly on basketball is a welcome lifestyle change for the soon-to-be 23-year-old, and now professional athlete.

“It’s really exciting that I have a lot of time to put everything into my game and the craft and really study basketball. With all this time I can do more stretching, I can go get more shots up, I don’t have to worry about waking up and going to class, or studying, or about a paper, it’s different now. Everything is really just focused on making sure my body is right and that I am playing well,” Alston said.