City Council discusses Boston Women’s Fund Day, Kinship Awareness Month, retiree support

Boston City Council passed resolutions recognizing Sept. 26 as Boston Women’s Fund Day, September 2024 as Kinship Awareness Month and a resolution increasing the Cost-of-Living Adjustment for City of Boston retirees during its Wednesday meeting at City Hall Plaza.

City Councilor Julia Mejia acknowledged the importance and impact of the BWF, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary.

“We celebrate a movement that for four decades has lifted the voices and leadership of women, girls and gender-expansive individuals,” Mejia said. “Since its founding in 1984, the Boston Women’s Fund has become a beacon of hope, resilience and transformation.”

Mejia specifically expressed “appreciation and gratitude” towards the fund’s Executive Director Natanja Craig Oquendo, Deputy Director Alexandra Auguste and their team “for the work that they do everyday.”

Boston City Hall. City Council passed resolutions to recognize Sept. 26 as Boston Women’s Fund Day, to increase the Cost-of-Living Adjustment for City of Boston retirees, and to recognize September 2024 as Kinship Awareness Month.
ANDREW BURKE-STEVENSON/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

BWF’s 40th Anniversary Community Celebration will be held tomorrow and will honor 40 liberation leaders of the BWF.

“We deeply understand that liberation is just as linked as the chains of oppression and injustice, and none of us are free until all of us are free,” Oquendo said at the council meeting.

Additionally, the Council recognized September as Kinship Awareness Month.

Councilor Henry Santana and Mejia acknowledged kinship caregivers and their importance in the Boston community.

“Research shows that children in kinship care experience better behavioral health outcomes and are less affected by trauma,” Santana said. “By designating September as kinship Awareness Month, we recognize the dedication of these caregivers and the resilience of the children they care for.”

Following Santana’s statements, Mejia expressed her support as well.

“This hits home for so many families here,” Mejia said.  “Kinship care is about grandparents, relatives and close families, who usually step up when life takes these unexpected turns, the ones who are providing love, stability and support when it’s needed most.”

In addition, the Council passed a resolution in support of the COLA increase, specifically to help Boston retirees.

Councilor Santana, who supports the COLA increase, said retirees have “dedicated years of their lives serving Boston” with the “hope of living comfortably after their years of service.”

“We owe it to them to ensure they can continue living in the city they helped build and age with dignity,” Santana said.

After also expressing support for the resolution, Councilor Liz Breadon said they should “incrementally increase the COLA by $1,000 per year.”

“Other cities are doing this, and we should not be lagging behind given the cost of living in the city of Boston,” Breadon said.