Campus, Hockey, News

Union’s banner signing brings warm wishes to Roy

By Laura Cioffi

The Boston University Student Union this week offered the BU population a chance to show its support for paralyzed Terrier hockey player Travis Roy.

Since Roy’s accident on Oct. 20, the BU community has been coming forward in droves to show concern for Roy. SU officials last week decided to make it a little bit easier for the university as a whole to express their love and support for the injured hockey player by providing two banners that students, friends, faculty and staff could sign.

“We all felt there was a student outcry and emotion on campus. Many students were looking for an outlet to show their support and we felt this was the right thing to do,” said John Dandolph, SU Senate chairman and a School of Management sophomore.

According to Union president Rob Wedge, more than 2,000 people signed the two 81-inch banners, including hockey head coach Jack Parker, BU president John R. Silber and BU provost and president-elect Jon Westling.

Wedge said a paraplegic who had learned of Roy’s accident signed the banner, “Stay strong, I am strong for you. Maybe someday we can walk together.”

Athletic Department officials will bring it to Roy in the hospital. The banners will later hang in the Walter Brown Arena for an undetermined length of time, said Wedge, who is a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and the School of Education.

Along with helping students deal with tragedy, the Student Union had continued to help students deal with other aspects of university life.

SU officials also said they saw one of the major yearly projects come to completion yesterday as the 1995 Source Guide hit campus. Published every semester, the book is designed to help students choose their classes.

Union officials said this week that they have made several changes to the book, which features student reviews of more than 400 university courses. This year is the first year that students can review classes offered for both spring and fall semesters.

Since classes for both semesters are now included in the book, the Union will not publish a new edition next semester.