Feed the children

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This old adage has been proven by studies revealing that higher math scores and fewer disciplinary problems are linked with students having nutritious breakfasts. Many students choose not to have breakfast before school because of time constraints, but unfortunately, some students from lower income families can not afford to eat a well-rounded meal in the morning. These students should be provided with breakfast before school, but without having to endure the embarrassment of being labeled because of their economic status. Some schools have attempted to give these disadvantaged children a free breakfast so they can concentrate better throughout the school day through nutrition programs where students from low income families could present a voucher or ticket and receive a breakfast courtesy of the school. However, participation in these programs was much lower than expected, because the students who were entitled to a free meal were labeled as being “poor kids.” Children who are labeled as different are often teased, and many will do anything to avoid standing out as being different, especially for coming from a poor family. These students should not have to endure this in order to get the nourishment they need. Nutrition programs in Massachusetts’ schools should be expanded so that those who need a free meal the most will have stigma-free access to it. A bill to do this will be proposed on Monday to the state Legislature. It will also propose to broaden a universal breakfast program to all eligible schools in Massachusetts. Universal breakfast programs have been proven successful in 16 Boston schools. These schools gave free breakfasts to any students that wanted them, regardless of their economic status. Students who really needed a free meal got it without any hassle. Other students who may not have had time for breakfast but could afford it got the opportunity to have the much needed nourishment as well. These types of programs should be expanded because a nutritious breakfast is proven to increase students’ success in school, regardless of their economic status. The state will be reimbursed for these programs by federal dollars, so there is not much cost to the state and children’s health and academic success are worth their minimal costs to taxpayers.