Corazzini, Meyer fire away against Massachusetts’ defense

That deafeningly loud eruption you heard this weekend was the sound of the Boston University hockey team in the midst of an offensive explosion.

The Terriers snapped a six-game losing streak this weekend by outscoring the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 9-4, in two games.

Senior center Carl Corazzini and sophomore defenseman Freddy Meyer were the masterminds behind the explosive offensive blast. Corazzini respectfully announced his candidacy for Hockey East Player of the Week by slamming three goals and three assists past Amherst’s goalkeeping.

After scoring one goal and 11 assists in 25 games last season, Meyer picked up two goals and two assists this weekend alone.

“Individually, I thought Freddy Meyer had a hell of a weekend,” said BU coach Jack Parker. “Carl Corazzini had a hell of a weekend. I thought [sophomore forward] Brian Collins really played well both nights. I guess point-wise [junior forward] Dan Cavanaugh really played well, too.”

It was all part of a loud message to the rest of Hockey East that the Terriers’ six-game losing streak is over. After falling behind 1-0 early in the first period on Friday night, the Terriers responded by firing five unanswered goals en route to a 5-2 win.

The Terriers repeated their performance with a 4-2 win on Saturday night in front of a packed crowd at Walter Brown Arena.

Heading into the weekend, the Terriers had scored 12 goals in the last six games. After the wins against Amherst this weekend, they have now scored 12 goals in the last three games.

“In this league, the game is a race to four,” Parker said. “And we got more than four [Friday] night and four [Saturday night]. Hopefully, we can keep it up.”

Of the 120 minutes played between the two games, the Terriers spent 3:19 trailing the Minutemen. They spent 105:01 — over an hour and a half — in command of the lead.

“It couldn’t have come at a better time to get W’s,” Parker said. “It couldn’t have come at a better time to get some offense.”

Of the 11 Terriers that picked up points this weekend, seven collected more than one.

“It was a nice little sigh of relief to get four points in the league and get back in the middle of the pack in the league,” Parker said. “I thought it was a real solid weekend by us. We had steady goaltending from both goaltenders. We played great on the power play both nights. We’re doing a great job there.”

The Terrier dominance even led Amherst head coach Don Cahoon to say of his Minutemen, “I’ve got some issues with my team, in terms of discipline and in terms of intelligence. And until we become more disciplined and more intelligent out there, we’re going to continue to lose games.”

BU’s goaltending protected the lead through both games. Junior Jason Tapp saved 31 of 33 shots on Friday night, while freshman Sean Fields saved 21 of 23 shots on Saturday.

“I liked what we saw on a lot of things, and I’m happy we’re getting some points,” Parker said. “We needed these wins badly.”