City Council attacks mayor, plans for new Fenway Park

While the city awaits a verdict on the future of the new Fenway Park, the Boston City Council sought a new approach to proving their authority over the matter yesterday at City Hall.

The new Fenway Park proposition, according to Councilor Paul Scapicchio (East Boston, Charlestown, North End, Watertown), chairman of the Economic Development and Transportation Committee, has many faults, which has led to its lack of council support.

According to Scapicchio, it is illegal for the city to take land away from residents for its own use. Also, he said, the project is not financially sound and its hypothetical location is impractical.

Scapicchio cited a report released by the Congressional Budget Office that reveals faults in the economic scheme of the proposition. The costs are reportedly understated at 44 percent, the city’s bonds will not qualify for tax-exempt status — and therefore will not be covered by the $12 million in parking garage revenue — and the city will forego an estimated $7.5 million in property tax revenues per year.

“We need to move quickly on this,” Scapicchio warned the Council.

He said the Staples store in the Fenway vicinity has not yet able to renew its lease since it falls within the proposed area for the new park. Scapicchio stressed that government money should not be used to take away businesses and by taking too long to decide, the Council puts the city’s citizens’ lives on hold.

“There are a great number of councilors that want to help the Red Sox … but not in the wrong part of town. We will not allow the city of Boston to take parts of people’s neighborhoods away,” he explained.

In an effort to prevent Mayor Thomas Menino from abusing the city’s rights to eminent domain, the Council unanimously disagreed with the actions Menino and the Boston Redevelopment Authority have taken while building an arcade in City Hall Plaza and working on the area’s beautification without the consent of the councilors.

The issue has been pending for five years and under the leadership of Councilor At-Large Peggy Davis-Mullen it is expected to be resolved in the near future.

“Even the mayor has to follow the steps of what has to be done,” Davis-Mullen said.

The actions of the mayor and the BRA were illegal, according to Council members.

“The mayor intentionally violated the rules,” said Council President J.M. Kelly.

Also, Councilor Michael Ross (Back Bay, Fenway, Kenmore, Beacon Hill) promoted environmentalism in proposing an ordinance he created with Councilor At-Large Stephen Murphy that fines large apartment buildings $500 for not having adequate recycling facilities.