Holidays are taking over TV

As the end of the semester draws near and the holidays approach, there are many familiar signs we come to look forward to each year—festive decorations at the Prudential Center, free coffee at Late Night, the lighted trees at Faneuil Hall, finals and, of course, those classic holiday specials and movies on TV. Yes, even with our lack of Cable here on campus, plenty of broadcast stations will still show your favorite holiday movies. Whether you hold your breath each year till the bell rings, so an angel can get its wings, or you still get scared of the Abominable Snowman along with Rudolph, there is a holiday classic waiting to be watched in the next coming weeks. So for your viewing pleasure this year, here is a compilation of the top ten holiday classics:

10. Jim Henson does it again, year after year, in “Muppet Family Christmas.” Fozzie Bear decides to have the whole gang over for Christmas, and he sure doesn’t forget anyone. All your favorites from “Sesame Street” to “The Muppet Show” to “Fraggle Rock” make an appearance. The movie is filled with songs from the crew, while they cook and trim the tree. Watch to see what happens when Kermit meets Miss Piggy under the mistletoe (watch TV listings for future showings).

9. Who can do it better then Disney? “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” takes the traditional story by Charles Dickens and casts Uncle Scrooge McDuck as Ebenezer Scrooge and Mickey as Bob Cratchit. Also making appearances are Goofy, Donald, Daisy and Jiminy Cricket. This movie proves you never can outgrow Mickey Mouse (ABC 12/9, 8:00p.m.).

8. So just how did Santa gain immortality? Find out in “The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus.” The Great Ak, in a plea to the Council of the Immortals, tells the story of an abandoned little baby named Claus. Little Claus grew up seeing all the hardships of the world, and decided to help, thus giving us Santa (FOX FAM 12/11, 8:00 p.m.).

7. There’s a definite magic to the first snowfall of the winter. It is a time for sledding, snowball fights and snowmen. Imagine if your snowman came to life. Well, thanks to a silk top hat for Karen and her friends in “Frosty the Snowman,” their snowman came to life. Watch to see if he can make it to the North Pole before spring comes (watch TV listings for future showings).

6. All Ralphie wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder BB gun, and “A Christmas Story” tells just how hard getting what you want can be. With memorable lines like, “Only I didn’t say ‘Fudge.’ I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the ‘F-dash-dash-dash’ word,” little Ralphie will make you remember what it was like being a kid (AMCAN FAM 12/5, 11:30 p.m.; TCM 12/9, 1:00 p.m.; TBS 12/11, 10:35 p.m., 12/15, 2:00 p.m.).

5. Even with the release of the film, the original “Grinch” still holds a place on many viewers’ holiday TV specials line-up this year. Dr. Seuss’ “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” stars the animated Grinch in his quest to steal Christmas from the Whos in Whoville. If you don’t like this holiday classic, then your heart really must be “two sizes too small (watch TV listings for future showings).”

4. Charlie Brown will always have a place in our hearts, and in “Charlie Brown’s Christmas” he shines once again. Confused by the commercialism of the holidays, Charlie Brown searches for the true meaning of Christmas, and in his quest tries to save a forlorn little tree. It takes Linus to teach him, “all it needs is a little love.” This is a Christmas lesson that has survived and will continue to survive through the decades (CBS 12/11, 8:00 p.m.).

3. “Then one foggy Christmas Eve, Santa came to say, Rudolph with your nose so bright, won’t you guide my sleigh tonight.” And thus came Rudolph’s rise to fame. Each year, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” brings the magic of Rudolph, and his friends Herbie and Cornelius’ adventures avoiding the Abominable Snowman, traveling to The Island of the Misfits, and showing us all that it’s ok to be different (CBS 12/15, 8:00p.m.).

2. “It’s A Wonderful Life,” enough said. This classic has been a part of the holiday tradition for over a half a century. This movie is filled with famous faces such as Donna Reed, Henry Travers, and more. And of course the unforgettable Jimmy Stewart, as George Bailey, who proves that even ordinary people can have a major impact on the lives of others (NBC 12/16, 8:00 p.m.).

1. And what’s the season without a miracle, a “Miracle on 34th Street,” that is. Though it has been remade twice, the original 1947 version will always remain on the top of the list. Along with little Susan, we unfold the mystery of Santa Claus and find out that despite all the commercialism of today, there is a true magic of Christmas (WGN 12/10, 3:00 p.m., 12/11, 8:00 p.m.; WPIX 12/16, 4:00 p.m., 12/18, 3:00 p.m.).

So don’t forget in this holiday season, when you need a break from studying or you’re at home counting down the days until Santa comes, click on the television (hey don’t let all that Cable at home go to waste) and enjoy some classic holiday movies!