Kids gear up at BU

Boston University is hosting about 160 seventh graders on campus in a week-long program called Gear Up. These students will have the chance to visit residence halls to speak to current BU students as well as attend workshops and seminars within several different colleges including the College of Engineering and the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. As a member of the Boston Higher Education Partnership, BU is one of 22 local schools that commits to sponsoring programs to increase higher education opportunity.

BU runs several programs to help foster area students to prepare for college, such as Upward Bound. These opportunities link the University to local high schools and help create positive perspectives about college for the students who participate in these programs.

Gear Up has a slightly different focus: this program is attempting to reach these students at a perfect time in their lives. Other enrichment programs that target high school students may not have as much success just because these students may be less receptive to hearing the message and may not have enough time left in their high school careers to change any past academic mishaps.

Younger children are also more impressionable and would in be awe of the campus and college students. Experiencing a first-hand glimpse of campus life at such young ages would make these students want to strive to work to prepare for college.

These students can then begin high school with the goal to make good grades, get to know their teachers and participate in extra-curricular activities so that they can confidently apply to colleges. Even if the children do not choose BU, at least this program will open their eyes to the possibility of higher education.