Defending Bush’s presidency

This letter is a response to the “Perspective” that was printed in the March 23 issue of The Daily Free Press about George Bush (“Bush reneges on campaign promises” March 23).

Before I launch into a tirade, I feel it is necessary to give a little background about myself. One thing I have against me is that I am a Republican. Oh no! I might as well have cursed, loudly. It seems I am one of about 17 Republicans on the entire campus. Mr. Butehorn, clearly, is not another one.

One thing that is clear is that Mr. Butehorn is still sore about the November elections. Isn’t it time to let that go? The last paragraph of his “Perspective” blatantly exhibits his bitterness.

Mr. Butehorn describes President Bush as a hypocrite. He is complaining that President Bush is doing favors for his campaign contributors. Has Mr. Butehorn lived under a rock for, oh, I don’t know, the past eight years! The entire Daily Free Press could be filled with favors Clinton did.

And about Bush saying that carbon dioxide is not a pollutant? I didn’t see any quotation marks there. In fact, I didn’t see many quotes from President Bush in the entire “Perspective.”

And what is “Cold War talk”? Just because Bush said China is a competitor and doesn’t give them missile secrets doesn’t mean he wants to go to war.

The bottom line is, whether Mr. Butehorn or anyone else likes it or not, George Bush is the president of the United States of America. If you don’t like him, vote him out in 2004, if you can.

Scott Robinson

COM ’04