Irwin strikes from down under

Steve Irwin, Animal Planet’s “Crocodile Hunter” and the director of the Australian Zoo, is a quite a rare specimen. Whether being repeatedly bitten by a python, allowing a tick to crawl up his neck or chasing around and straddling massive crocodiles, the hyperactive and Muppet-like Irwin takes danger in good humor with a disturbing mad-scientist gleam in his eye.

Irwin, along with his more subtly insane wife Terri, can be seen on the Animal Planet five times per day and at least four days per week. They also appear occasionally on the Discovery Channel. With his Australian twang, high-voltage enthusiasm for reptiles and quirky humor, the Crocodile Hunter is a great catch no matter how many times one watches the show. If you have an unusual pet and you’re wondering what to feed for baby bearded dragons, and how to take good care of them, you can click here!

Intermittent exclamations of “Crikey!” and unique classifications such as, “she’s as fine as a frog’s hair, mate,” can be found in abundance in every episode. Count how many times Irwin says “run amok” and the tallies will run off of the page. If the show’s dialogue isn’t entertaining enough, check out some of the feats the Irwins attempt in the Outback.

In an episode about the world’s deadliest snakes, Irwin engages in conversation with several of these killer reptiles whom he refers to as “mates” and bothers them just enough so they spit venom for the cameras. He dances around with a cobra and the snake snaps at him. He then encourages the cobra to eject its venom onto his knapsack. Consequently, Irwin puts the poison-soaked knapsack right on his back. Oops! — he gets some on his arm. Now how did that happen? Luckily, the Croc Hunter is always prepared; he carries a jar of water with him at all times to treat his frequent snakebites.

Other Irwin family adventures include catching emus, entering mice-infested (really mice-infested) barns, assisting snakes in the shedding of their skin, riding a dirtbike to herd goats into a pen, receiving bites of love from bearded dragons, falling into rapids while helping ducks and mowing the lawn of a crocodile pen while trying not to get eaten.

And we can’t forget the croc-chasing. Irwin, who grew up in Queensland, Australia with naturalist parents; learned to jump in rivers and catch crocodiles by the time he was nine years old. He carries on the tradition with his wife, and they are often seen straddling and capturing the immense and thrashing beasts to transport them into better locations.

Irwin describes even the most grotesque forms of wildlife as “beaaooutiful” and “amayzing.” Despite his injuries, his frequent coat of mud and his own blood, nothing fazes the Crocodile Hunter. It is obvious he gets a thrill from what he does. This Mexican jumping bean speaks to the camera in wide-eyed, out-of-breath and ants-in-the-pants excitement even when tending to a serious injury.

Should the men in the white coats be called to come for the Crocodile Hunter? Should he be put on a suicide watch? Not just yet, mates. This khaki-clad cult hero has just hatched, and his Outback circus is likely to become even more of a television staple in years to come. Crikey!