‘Hercules’ takes on homosexuality

When one opens a history textbook, one rarely expects to find an elaborate discussion of homosexuality as a cultural, historical and social phenomenon. Perhaps due to the fact that this topic is painfully understudied, David Drolet fills the gaping educational void in his latest book “Hercules in Love.” The novel’s focus serves to shed light on the little known aspects of homosexuality and its history.

Drolet dissolves the commonly accepted stereotype that Greek culture stands for democracy and a liberal lifestyle. Using homosexuality as an example, Drolet points out the shortcomings of Greece, a bedrock civilization, compared to the more progressive views of a neighboring people, the Athenians.

“Standards, limits, trust, clear aims, agreement of the parties and monogamy-of-type were the underpinnings of male relationships known in Athens, just as occurs in a good marriage contract. Athenians could not stop the forces that came from both inside themselves and from beyond the city’s walls, where a Dorian [Greek] homosexual militarism surrounded them and plundered their fields,” states Drolet of the contrast between Greek and Athenian views on homosexual relationships.

Utilizing factual evidence as basis for his arguments, Drolet makes a strong case by clarifying one of the biggest controversial issues in history. “Wilde, Tchaikovsky, and Sappho, bright men who remained on the outskirts of society, are examples of talented writers that were shunned for their homosexulaity. Drolet’s work is clearly a moderrn necessity of studying the history of homosexulaity, as means of avoiding the disgraceful treatment of these authors.” He does a great service both to adults who suppress their sexuality because it does not coincide with that of the majority and to children who don’t understand why it is alright to feel what they feel and why they are not alone in their difference.

In a very appealing fashion, Drolet “moisturizes” the dry, monotonous tone that characterizes most historians, teachers and philosophers with just the right amount of humor. Instead of stating facts with a flowery, Victorian-meets-rococo approach, Drolet plainly just says them. And any reader can appreciate that. His language is truly a breakthrough in the field of alternative literature that is designed to be accessible. “Hercules in Love” is a flowing, profound read — a challenge, but definitely an enjoyable one.

“Hercules in Love” has several nice, non-textbook-like touches. For example, the first chapter, called “Relax and Enjoy,” eases the reader into the historic context discussed in the following chapters. Unfortunately, Drolet sometimes overdoes his casual style and sounds too desperate to please, as awkward as an abnormal cross between an encyclopedia excerpt and a Glamour article.

Drolet does a formidable job of acknowledging the oddity of the book’s subject matter. He begins by admitting the difficulty of coming out of the closet. He states that if society were more accepting, homosexuality as a historical phenomenon would likely have been discussed in writing before the 21st Century. Drolet also claims it must take a lot of “mojo” for a closet-dweller to take something from his book and really learn from it.

Part of a large movement to educate society on homosexuality, Drolet’s “Hercules in Love” puts into plain language the facts and ideas that were unacceptable less than a century ago.