National Guardsman Receives Recognition

In a time of war, there is no break for the National Guard.

Although active duty only lasts a maximum of two years, Capt. George Boggs of the National Guard said the length of service is enough to cause financial and marital problems for some people; however, the guardsmen dedicate themselves anyway, he said, because in the end, the job is worth it.

“You’re always supposed to be ready, if it is after Sept. 11 or not,” Boggs said. “When we do our one weekend of training per month, we’re preparing so that when a mission comes up we are ready to act immediately. Your hardship isn’t relevant to us; it’s sad, but that’s the way it is.

“We have to take each situation and analyze it. When you are a soldier, your country comes first, not your family.”

In recognition of Boggs and the 1,740 National Guardsmen called to duty by the state after Sept. 11, the Boston City Council introduced a resolution yesterday honoring them for their protection of the people of the Commonwealth.

“Many of these National Guardsmen are Boston residents, including firefighters, police officers, and other Boston City employees,” said Councilor Michael Ross (Back Bay, Fenway).

Boggs accepted the resolution on behalf of the National Guardsmen.

“Capt. Boggs and the National Guard have given to us an invaluable service, by protecting us and allowing us to be with our families when they weren’t with theirs,” Ross said. “Many do it out of the goodness of their hearts, and I think it is high time we recognized them.”

“It’s nice to receive this resolution,” Boggs said. “It is about time we get recognized.”

Boggs is the bodyguard to Gen. George O’Keefe, who was appointed by then-Gov. Paul Cellucci to run the National Guard of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

“Since Sept. 11, we have obviously been a lot busier: There is more traveling, and we have changed the focus on how we view things personally and professionally,” Boggs said.

Boggs said most people are not aware of the role of the National Guard.

“We have two roles; the first is to serve and support the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, from being present at riots or during a state of emergency,” Boggs said. “The second lies on the federal side. The president can order active duty of the National Guard, full- or part-time. If there is a war or a conflict, the National Guard can be assigned for 180 or more days of active duty.”

In October 1984, Boggs joined the reserve National Guard, and two years later, he was hired as a police officer in Boston.

“I wanted to be a city cop, especially in Boston, because I grew up in the city,” Boggs said. “During the 1980s, Boston had a problem with gangs and made a task force, the Anti-Gang Violence Unit. They selected me along with 30 others to come up with a plan to solve the problem and were very successful in doing so.”

During his time in the National Guard, Boggs has been promoted from a private to first and then second lieutenant. Last March he was made captain. Boggs said he knew all along he wouldn’t last long as a private; he wasn’t satisfied.

“I wanted to lead men and women and be someone who people can look up to; I couldn’t do this as a private,” Boggs said. “We have issues trying to retain people, because you have to do one weekend per month and sometimes more than two weeks in the summer to drill. It is especially hard to make that commitment when you have a family.”