BU Hosts Annual Housing Fair

Boston University students, citing problems with roommates, security, dining plans and other disturbances, attended BU’s off-campus housing fair yesterday to look for alternatives to on-campus arrangements.

David Heller, a School of Management freshman, said he wants to move off-campus because he hates the security and the guest policies in University dorms.

“I want to be able to have my friends over whenever I want,” Heller said. “I don’t want to feel like a two-year-old.”

BU requested members of the Boston Police attend the fair to remind students that even though they may live off-campus, they still have to act responsibly. Sgt. John Fogerty of the Boston Police Department distributed pamphlets outlining laws about alcohol possession and noise violations.

“If you break the rules, we’ll give you ‘three hots and a cot,'” he said.

More than 225 students attended the fair in the George Sherman Union’s Metcalf Hall. Local real estate agencies offered lists of off-campus houses and apartments that would be available beginning in the fall. Many agents gave out candy, mugs and key chains to lure students to their booths.

Jeanine Belcastro, assistant director for orientation and off-campus services, said more students attended last year’s fair because it was held later in the semester, when students were thinking about their housing options.

Edy Mattica of Commonwealth Realty Group said the number of people attending the fair was far fewer than he had hoped.

“Like me, most students wait for the last minute,” Mattica said.

Belcastro said the reason for the moderate turnout may have been something different. “It may be the financial situation,” she said.

Though the cost for off-campus housing has risen each year for the past three years, today’s slumping economy has changed the situation, according to John McMahon of Phoenix Realty.

“For the most part, prices are the same as last year,” he said. “There’s a recession going on.”

Matt Flaherty, an SMG junior who has lived both on and off campus, said off-campus living is more expensive, but it allows for easier living situations.

“The advantages of living off campus outweigh the disadvantages,” he said. “It’s definitely worth it.”