BUPD LOG: Car Thief Disappears Without A Trace

The following were taken from last week’s Boston University Police Department logs.

A 30-year-old man eluded capture after a lengthy police chase that began on Beacon Street at around 11 p.m. on Jan. 28, according to police.

While driving inbound on Beacon Street, a BUPD officer noticed a car with flashing lights and a sounding alarm. The officer pulled over, and a black male dressed in dark clothes approached the cruiser after emerging from between the flashing car and another behind it.

According to police, the man told the officer that while parking his vehicle behind the car, he had accidentally bumped it and set off the alarm. There was no apparent damage found to either car, so the officer ran a routine registration check for both cars, police said.

The car the suspect was driving, a Chevrolet Blazer, came back as stolen while the suspect was pulling away. According to police, the officer followed him and pulled him over. As the officer was approaching the car, the man allegedly drove off once again, heading down Brookline Street toward Park Drive.

The officer followed the suspect toward Huntington Avenue. The man drove down a one-way street, up onto the sidewalk and hit a stop sign, the report said. The suspect turned around and his front passenger-side tire blew out, according to BUPD.

The suspect’s vehicle reportedly stopped on Annunciation Road and he exited and started running. The man tripped and fell, according to police, and the officer ordered him to stop but he got up and continued running. He allegedly ran to the rear of the street and failed to enter a locked building. He then continued to run.

The suspect reportedly saw additional police cars driving toward him, so he ran back in the direction of the first officer. The first officer, according to police reports, took out his baton and ordered the suspect to stop and get on the ground. But the suspect continued to run, so the officer struck him on the thigh, police said. The suspect continued to try to escape, so the officer hit him again on the right thigh, according to police.

The whacks apparently had little effect on the man, who reportedly continued to run down the street. According to BUPD, another black male approached the suspect and they exchanged words.

The suspect reportedlycontinued trying to open doors with no success, eventually turning around and running back toward the same police officer. This time, the officer took out pepper spray and ordered him to stop, police said. The suspect continued running, however, and was allegedly sprayed by the officer.

The suspect, reportedly unaffected by the spray, continued running to check for unlocked doors. The officer cornered and sprayed the man two more times with no results, BUPD said.

Two more officers allegedly saw the suspect open the door to 58 Annunciation Rd., run inside, and lock the door behind him. The two remained at the rear of the house, and the first officer ran to the front, according to police.

At this point, Boston Police arrived on the scene along with four more BUPD officers. The police began an interior search of the building and could not find the suspect anywhere. The car was then towed for safekeeping, police said.

On Tuesday, Jan. 29, Massachusetts State Police went to BUPD headquarters to give them an informational flyer on two suspects wanted for crimes committed in the BU area. According to police, a BUPD officer identified one of the photographs as the same suspect they were chasing the night before.

They were able to identify the manand are currently seeking a warrant for his arrest, according to police.

SKATING ACCIDENT

A 19-year-old BU student suffered a laceration to his wrist from another player’s skate while playing in a hockey game at BU’s Case Center on Jan. 31 at 11 a.m., police said.

The victim said he was skating at the Athletic Center, and fell. According to police, another player’s skate cut his wrist while he was on the ice.

Due to the lacerations, an ambulance was called and the victim was transported to Beth Israel Hospital for evaluation, police said.

SAW FIGHT

Police were called to the Boston Medical Center at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 1 to resolve a dispute between two male BU employees who were fighting over a saw.

According to police, the BUPD reported to 725 Albany St. and met with the two males. The employees said they were fighting over the saw and one accused the other of showing no respect for him, police said.

The same male went on to accuse the other of breaking into his locker and stealing tools from him. The other employee, according to police, denied the accusation. The first male said he wanted his allegation recorded in case more tools were stolen, police said.

Both employees said they have been having ongoing problems and just cannot get along, according to BUPD reports.

ROOMMATE DISPUTE

A 20-year-old male resident of 726 Commonwealth Ave. was reportedly assaulted by his roommate on Jan. 30 at 8:30 p.m., police said.

The victim went to the South Campus office at 518 Park Dr. to report the incident the next day. According to police, the victim reported his roommate, a 22-year-old male BU student, threatened him.

The victim told officers the two had been arguing over the fact that his roommate’s girlfriend spent too much time in their room. The argument became heated and the suspect grabbed the victim, pinned him to a chair and placed his fist an inch above his head, police said.

The suspect then reportedly said, “I’m going to mess up your [expletive] head.” According to police, he told the victim if he told anyone about the situation he would lie and deny it.

“I’m an excellent liar,” the suspect reportedly said, according to BUPD.

Both roommates then left the room for a while, police said. The roommates have both been reassigned and the office of Resident Life is undergoing further investigations, police said.

THEFTS

Unauthorized charges were made on credit cards stolen from the lobby of 685 Commonwealth Ave. on Feb. 2 at 3:45 p.m., police said.

The victim, a 20-year-old female BU student, said she left her purse unattended for five minutes and when she returned it was missing. The purse contained various credit cards, $30 in cash, a $100 cell phone and $100 that belonged to the Student Activities Office, police said.

According to police, when the victim called to cancel her credit cards, she was told of four unauthorized charges made. All charges were made with the victim’s Citibank MasterCard, totaling $1,233.14

There are no suspects or witness in this case, said a BUPD officer.