Public Sex Common At BU

On Valentine’s Day, people often celebrate with cards and candy.

Some Boston University students, however, seem more likely to celebrate with a quickie in public.

“A girl on my floor [in Warren Towers] freshman year was in the stairwell getting felt up by a guy who worked at Late Nite [Café],” said College of Communication junior Joey Arak. “She started bragging about it afterward.”

Like many other universities around the country, BU has its own “hot spots” where people sometimes engage in sexual activity that is quickly made public knowledge.

“I knew a friend who used to make out with his girlfriend on the BU beach, rolling up and down the hump,” said CAS sophomore Miles Harvey. “Ugly people shouldn’t be allowed to publicly display their affection.”

Other places were more out of the way.

“I remember hearing that a couple got caught having sex on top of CAS,” Arak said.

When asked about any sign of romantic activity in Mugar Memorial Library, the security personnel were unable to disclose any specific information, but did acknowledge sexual activity had taken place.

“Usually if we find anything, it’s in the extreme where the police have to be called,” said CAS freshman Bryan Marion, a security guard at Mugar.

Even less intense relations disturb passing students.

“I saw a couple groping each other between the sandwich line and the salad bar at West Campus,” said COM sophomore Rachel Hollander. “People should never hook up in the presence of food.”