LOLLIPOPS ‘ CRISPS: Wanna Be Like Mike or Mom?

A funny thing happened the other day that made quite an impression on me. A young lady in one of my classes posted a picture of National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice and diva Britney Spears on the board. Though all 20 students in my class could identify Ms. Spears, only five (not including myself, I am ashamed to admit) could identify Ms. Rice. And then I started thinking. Our country is in a state of war, and a group of college-educated communication students cannot identify members of Bush’s administration, while everybody knows what day “Crossroads” comes out. Where do our priorities lay?

I don’t care who you are or where you come from, a person one time or another in his or her life dreams of being something special — that star amongst stars. Perhaps fame and accolades in music, the big screen, a writer … a president. And though some may consider it shallow to desire success and fortune in entertainment, as opposed to the “nobler” extreme of making millions by developing pharmaceutical vaccines, we all dream of climbing the ladder and reaching the next level. I even must admit I get my jollies knowing you are reading this right now. We sit on our couches watching television or reading the newspaper, wondering what it would be like driving that car, owning that home, being that person. Because our society has sadly begun to equate money, success and fame to a certain level of happiness. That’s human nature — not only to want to be the best, but to let everyone know it, too.

So on we go, looking to the top of the Fortune 500 list or scanning the price tags the Cruises and Robertses of Hollywood make per film and viewing their lives and attributes as something desirable. But I ask you: Are those the people who have made it? Are these the people that we should strive to be? I say that’s crazy. Because even the biggest star in the sky, even the men who have Bill Gates’ bank account five times over, are just regular people like you and me.

But when these stars crash and burn, we consider it news. Americans revel in infotainment, scandal and dirty secrets. News recently broke that Juanita Jordan wanted to leave her famous basketball -legend husband Michael because she had proof of his numerous extramarital affairs. And to think my whole life, I was raised to “wanna be like Mike.” Who can really expect Jordan or any person of that stature to be as perfect in real life as they conduct themselves in front of the camera? Most of us have seen Behind the Music, so we know that not all of these lives are pure Cinderella stories. We know our president once had an alcohol problem. New Jersey Nets guard and MVP candidate Jason Kidd beats his wife and is on the streets only to be featured in Nike commercials a week later. And OJ … well, you get the point. Money buys power, and we have learned to accept celebrity status buys the luxury of immunity. I think that’s a shame, and at the very least we should acknowledge that. But maybe we have the bar too high for these people. It doesn’t seem fair, because everybody knows how well one can behave when the cameras are rolling. If you or I had to enter drug rehab for a coke problem, we wouldn’t want it broadcasted in the Union, much less Hard Copy and E! I say it’s time we stop looking at these cardboard people, the Hollywood chic or athletically gifted as something more than they are. Their lives should not be our entertainment.

Don’t get me wrong — I do not mean to undermine the meaning an individual can find in a song, a movie or poem. Some of the most passion I have seen occurs when a fan defends his tastes. And I, too, have occasionally found life’s answers in Kerouac, Dylan and River Phoenix. I can’t argue the inspiration or value a person may take from these things, but I instead urge all of us to look a little closer to home if you’re looking for someone real — for someone to admire. Appreciate the things and people in your lives, instead of concentrating on the things you one-day hope to obtain.

Look to a brother or sister. Look to your friends. Look to your teachers, your coaches, your church. Well, now, even the Church and some bad seeds operating under the powers of their own repression and restraints have brought further disgrace to their institution. The people I admire most are the different people in my life and the various gifts they share with me. My grandmother’s kindness and warmth in her voice. My grandfather for the way he makes me smile on the phone. My aunt for always lending me advice when times get tough. I admire my brother Sean for his ability to make me laugh and my brother Michael for his gentle heart. My mother for teaching me forgiveness, time and time again. But most of all my father for showing me what it means to be a person of integrity, strength and most of all, family. And though these people certainly may make mistakes from time to time, at least I get to see their real sides. Because it’s the strong people who feel they don’t have to impress anybody or care if the party stops when they walk into a room. They may not make millions or grace the covers of magazines, but these are the people I look up to.

After spitting on a young girl and throwing a man through a bar room window, philosopher Charles Barkley said it best about his role in society and the expectations placed on people with his fame and influence — I am not a role model. Here is a man who was very talented at what he did but didn’t believe people should look to him for anything more. I apologize for making you all read my propaganda list of love and appreciation — I guess Valentine’s Day just put me in the mood. But I do so to ask you to create a similar list of the same meaning without hesitation. I truly hope you can. But I have to go now; tickets for Crossroads go on sale tomorrow.