Jacques Pushing Bills To Protect Abuse Victims

Although the Church has revealed the names of nearly 90 current and former priests in this Archdiocese who have committed sexual abuse against children, Sen. Cheryl Jacques (D-Norfolk, Bristol) said yesterday just knowing the names of these molesters is of little use without more information.

Jacques is pushing for the House to pass two bills designed to protect victims of sexual abuse and facilitate the prosecution of sex criminals. The legislation would force clergy members to report incidents of child abuse to the state and would establish a Victims’ Bill of Rights in rape and sexual assault cases.

In light of pressure following the first trial of defrocked priest John J. Geoghan, who was charged with more than 130 allegations of sexual abuse against children, Bernard Cardinal Law instituted a “zero tolerance” policy in the Archdiocese. The Clergy Reporting Bill, co-sponsored by Jacques, would effectively enforce this measure.

Under the bill, clergy members who fail to report relevant cases would be fined up to $1,000. The bill would categorize religious officials with teachers, social workers and doctors, all of whom are legally required to report all suspicions of child abuse.

Communication covered by the existing priest/penitent privilege, such as information revealed during confessional, would be excluded.

While Law has revealed dozens of names of church officials guilty of abuse, Jacques said state district attorneys lack the detailed information they would need to prosecute church offenders.

“Knowing the names of the perpetrators is of little use without access to the victims and information about the crimes committed,” Jacques said. “[This bill] will require detailed reporting of all of the information that our law enforcement community needs to aggressively prosecute the perpetrators of these heinous crimes.”

The bill, which was passed unanimously by the Senate, would be fully retroactive, requiring all officials to disclose any instances of past abuse to authorities within 30 days of the bill’s passing.

Gerry D’Avolio, executive director of the Massachusetts Catholic Conference, said the Church is not opposed to this initiative, noting Law has already complied with this.

“All of us want to support the reporting of child abuse,” D’Avolio said. “At this stage it seems to be a matter of the final language of the proposal by the legislature.”

The bill, originally sponsored by then-Sen. James Jajuga (D-Third Essex), preceded the Geoghan case, but Jacques said the recent allegations against the Church have propelled the bill to the forefront of state politics. House Speaker Thomas Finneran said yesterday the House will open debate on the Clergy Reporting Bill sometime next week.

Charlie Rasmussen, spokesman for the speaker, said he expects some opposition to the proposal and suggested amendments may be made.

“There’s always going to be some representatives that have concerns,” he said. “My sense is that it’s probably going to move along pretty quickly.”

Finneran did not address when the House will review the second bill, which calls for a Bill of Rights for victims of rape and sexual assault. That proposal would make it easier for victims to prosecute their abusers in civil court and would grant numerous protections to those who do prosecute.

Among other proposals, the bill requests that victims have the right to sue their abuser under a false identity, provided the court is made aware of the victim’s true name and address.

Judy Beals, executive director of Jane Doe, Inc., an anti-violence organization, said many victims are afraid under the current law to admit to being sexually assaulted.

“The system is failing them. In coming forward, they are further devastated, further victimized,” Beals said. “Unless the system is more responsive, they will not come forward.”

Worcester resident Ann McCarron, 39, said she needed such protection during her childhood, when she suffered repeated sexual assaults from her family pediatrician.

As a frequently ill child of seven, McCarron was carried to the hospital regularly by her parents, who would leave her in the care of the pediatrician. For the next five years, McCarron was sexually abused.

That abuse, she said, led her to years of silence and drunken behavior. Twice, while drunk, McCarron punched her own face until it was swollen and black and blue all over.

While McCarron overcame her suffering, she said victims of sexual abuse must realize they are not alone and should feel comfortable in speaking out.

“I decided to break the silence,” McCarron said. “The more I shared, the more I learned.

“I am no longer a victim, but a victor in life,” she said.