US Bears No Responsibilty

The Feb. 27 article “Sept. 11 victim’s son discusses causes” would have more accurately been titled, “Sept. 11 victim’s son lies through his teeth and spews outlandish communist propaganda,” but I can sympathize with The Daily Free Press for not having enough room to print that headline. Every paragraph of that article insults the cause of truth and reason.

Jeremy Glick, a public relations consultant for the prestigious Wu-Tang Clan, falsely claims that America’s funding of oppressive regimes led directly to the Sept. 11 attacks. The article fails to mention that terrorist-mastermind Osama bin Laden is a multi-millionaire who funds terrorists himself and that many of the weapons the Taliban used were antiquated Soviet arms. Those terrorists certainly did not get their money from the United States.

The article describes Mr. Glick’s book, which is overflowing with the usual “blame America first” bilge. The fact that Fidel Castro contributes to this book smacks of hypocrisy, considering that Mr. Castro himself is a terrorist thug who has murdered tens of thousands of his own people. Mr. Glick continues to accuse the United States of undermining “leftist governments” in favor of “tyrannical regimes.” I guess this support of “tyrannical regimes” is evident in the American government’s support of Israel, one of the few middle-Eastern democracies; in the Gulf War against the oppressive Iraqi regime; or in the recent war against the brutal Taliban thugs. Mr. Glick’s ridiculousness ensues when he calls for former presidents Bush and Reagan (but not Clinton?) to be brought to justice for their “international terrorism.”

If anything, the Sept. 11 attacks reveal a double standard in the radical left. Radicals cry we must “heed the messages” inherent in the attacks in New York and Washington, D.C. — messages that supposedly convey a lack of “worldwide equality” (read: overarching communism). Why were there no such cries to “heed the motives” of Timothy McVeigh and his band of killers who blew up a federal building in Oklahoma City? Although some conservatives agree with a few of McVeigh’s ideas about an excessively large federal government, no conservative condones the OKC bombing in any way. Socialists and other left-wingers, however, do not seem to mind the barbaric destruction of American property and lives. We must lift the lamb’s wool of moral relativism from our eyes to see the truth: The men who flew airplanes into skyscrapers are not “freedom fighters;” they are murderers, and the United States government bears no responsibility for carrying out their heinous acts. Jeremy Glick is a disgrace to his country, to his fellow man and to the sake of truth and freedom.