STAFF EDIT: Major Decisions

Choosing a major has some Boston University students stressed out. Many students tend to believe their choice will determine the rest of their lives, and two years of college is a short time for making such a weighty decision. However, four semesters is plenty of time to explore options, and it is important to realize that majors are quite flexible.

At BU, students are required to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. It was reported that many students feel this is not enough time to make a thorough decision, and some say applying for a specific school as a freshman is too restraining. Nonetheless, even if students are unable to confine themselves to a major upon applying, students can form a vague idea of possible career goals upon entering college in order to make the most of their academic experience.

When entering the University, students have several options available to them if they are not sure of a possible major. They can choose to apply to the College of General Studies, where they will get a more rounded background of basic subjects, allowing them to see what is out there in terms of possible majors. Additionally, the College of Arts and Sciences is very much liberal arts-oriented, so students are able to fully explore their interests.

Moreover, if students are truly unsure of a possible major, it would not be unreasonable to take a year off before starting college. In doing so, they would be able to gather their thoughts about what sparks their interests.

In addition, students should remember that a major does not always tie one to a career. If a student majors in English, he or she is not restricted to becoming an author or teacher. The world is not lacking in financial executives with philosophy majors.

Boston University is not unreasonable in requiring its students to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. Some schools, like Harvard, even have their students make a decision by the end of their freshman year.

Two years should be an adequate amount of time for students to figure out what they would like to concentrate on, especially when the University offers scores of possible majors. Students must really take the time to think about it and choose the best solution to suit their needs and interests.