Re: Women Should Take the Bad With the Good of Deserved Equality”

To the Editor: I am writing in response to Elliot Levy’s piece entitled “Women Should Take the Bad with the Good of Deserved Equality” from the October 29th edition. To be blunt, I believe that his entire line of thought needs some serious revision. While he has made a clear observation of social biases, he has also made some very broad generalizations. He stated that women “[use] their bodies to get what they want,” but I think I’m right when I point out that what he really means is pretty women. Do overweight women with acne use their bodies to get out of speeding tickets? What he believes to be gender stereotypes is. in reality, just society catering to the physical elite. After all, even he was quick to note that these Buswell girls were “attractive.” Would he have even noticed this situation if his media-socialized male mind hadn’t been checking them out, first? Now let me address his point of women demanding equal rights. He’s correct; most women want to be treated fairly. However, he says that women ignore the responsibilities that come with those rights. Again, he has overlooked a key point. Men ignore responsibilities, as well. His suggestion that these females should have “asked the officer to pull out the handcuffs immediately” is not only preposterous but also dense. No one in their right mind, male or female, beautiful or not, would do this. And his finger pointing and accusations that these women are “middle-of-the-road feminists” because they chose to continue their walk home rather than being arrested frankly makes him look like an idiot. That’s not gender stereotyping; it’s human nature. Let’s assume for a moment that he is right, and that women do know (although not all of us have this amazing ability to read the minds of strangers) when they are being given an unfair advantage. What then, is to be said about men who accept promotions or positions of high standing when they know they don’t deserve it? I’d like to see Mr. Levy turn down a prosperous advertising campaign because he suspects that the position is being given to him because he is a male. If society expects women to take responsibility for the rights that they work to acquire, then it should be prepared to practice what it preaches. Furthermore, if Mr. Levy believes that women don’t need doors opened for them or seats freed for their comfort, then why, may I ask, does he continue these traditions? Is it because, as he stated, it wouldn’t make him very popular with the ladies. Surely someone with as strong convictions about gender discrimination should be willing to give up the chance to go home with a girl in order to prove his point about discontinuing gender stereotypes. The trouble with his article is that he is simply wrong about his subject. Women and men both use tactics to get ahead in the world. I’m very impressed that he can identify gender differences; he should pat himself on the back. However, his logic at the end of his article does not follow. Two girls got off for possession of alcohol, and therefore women should not be elected president because they are too emotional? I don’t know about him, but I would be gravely saddened if our country elected any President that wasn’t emotionally distraught in times of war. In conclusion, I respect Mr. Levy’s attempt to highlight a key problem in our society, physical discrimination. However, I laugh at his simplicity. Next time, he should try to do a little research on the subject on which he writes; it will prevent him being discussed, as he is now, as “the next John Silber.” One final note: If I had a dime for every time I saw Margaret Thatcher (or Hillary, for that matter) cry, I’d be the poorest girl in Boston. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jessica Server, CAS ’04