A reponse to anti-war before war

A response to anti-war before war

In his response to a cartoon drawn by Professor Tamm, Kevin Bryan has made a series of misleading and wrong statements. “I think I might be able to explain to Tamm and the far left why everyone else doesn’t have his level of anger and despair about the current administration”. Clearly, Kevin is galvanized by American politics and suffers the myopia that issues are either left or right. He espouses to be an “independent voter” but is thinking is far right. He believes this protest against a war is limited to the thinking only on the far left. His, myopia of vision and simplification of the situation is not only misleading but out right wrong. A possible war against Iraq, which may cost millions, in a sagging economy, with high deficit in budget, affects both you and me. A war on Iraq is an issue that affects every American. I wouldn’t be surprised if health care and education will be compromised with a larger military budget. A war on Iraq is not just an left issue or a left and right issue but an AMERICAN ISSUE. It also affects everyone in the world and has been taken up as a concern by men and women across the world. This protest against a possible war has transcended gender, ethic, creed, and nation. There are probably protest in England, France and other nations, going on right now, against a possible war on Iraq. This is not as limited to “leftist” as Kevin would like you to believe. “in the old days we would protest after something happens” Kevin considers a protest by “Tamm and his fellow leftist” over a possible war to be “ludricrous. With the threat, of having thousands if not thousands of lives lost on both sides, to not protest in face of a possible war, to prevent of one of the greatest evil imaginable, is both morally outrageous and treasonable to the human race as a whole. So I guess, according to Mr.Bryan, we will wait, till a good ten thousand people die before we say anything? Or perhaps, may be a good hundred thousand. Or maybe, millions. First, we are and have been in a war against Iraq for the past decade. The economic sanctions placed on Iraq has murdered thousands and thousands of Iraq’s civilian and done nothing to remove Saddam Hussein from power. A war, will not be much different from what we have been doing the past ten years. To declare a war on Iraq, will not only be a war on the government but a war on Iraq’s people. Clearly, the knowledgeable Kevin is not just a Bu student but a mind reader as well, because he knows President Bush does not actually intend on attacking Iraq. “Mr. Tamm fails to understand the concept of a bluff.” Counter fact-The united States supplied Iraq with weapons and resources in the Iran-Iraq conflict. Counter fact two- United States has the most nuclear weapons and used them twice on a group of people. Counter fact three- United States has made it clear it will take action without the support of the United Nations. Cartoons are nothing more than advertisements for political ideas. To expect them to further the intellectual landscape or bring it to another level is not only ridiculous and unreasonable but childish as well. I do not expect a student display a high level of intellectualism but I do expect one to not mock a Professor and demean him with back handed insults calling him “childish and immature” for his political ideas.

James Wye Eng 06